Quail Ridge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tele-Caster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to Quail Ridge yesterday (Sunday) for the first time and shot thier sporting clays course.

A fellow there calling himself "Rocky" bent over backwards to make my 11 year old puller and I feel welcomed. The sporting course was well thought out with a nice mix of intersting an challenging shots. I had a fantastic time there, found it to be WELL worth the drive from Tahlequah,and I will most definitely be returning.

T-C

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is a great place. Luckily it is only about 10 minutes from me.
When you go back tell Rocky I said you better watch out for him. :D

Tele-Caster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I started this thread, I mentioned that I'd be returning. I'm returning later today and I am going to try to get there early enough to shoot the full 100 rounds on the sporting course. On my first time out, we got there a little late and I barely got through 50 rounds before it was time to pack it in.

I wish I was only 10 min. away from it like JBarnett is, but if I was, I'd probably wind up divorced, as the temptation to spend as much time as possible on that sporting course would be more than I could bear.

T-C

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I started this thread, I mentioned that I'd be returning. I'm returning later today and I am going to try to get there early enough to shoot the full 100 rounds on the sporting course. On my first time out, we got there a little late and I barely got through 50 rounds before it was time to pack it in.

I wish I was only 10 min. away from it like JBarnett is, but if I was, I'd probably wind up divorced, as the temptation to spend as much time as possible on that sporting course would be more than I could bear.

T-C

My wife bought me a membership for Christmas. :D
If I get the track back on my dozer I will be out there this afternoon also.

Tele-Caster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went and shot Quail Ridge's sporting course for the second time yesterday. As before, all the staff were nice and friendly and eager to please. I went 68/100 shooting my 12 bore side by side choked F/M, and while most stations had me wishing for SKT2/SKT1 or M/IC, there are some stations there where I didn't feel that being full choke on a barrel was going to handicap me much. This is the only sporting clays course I've ever shot where you might like to be choked a little tight on a few stations.

The course is very well thought out. There seems to be a good mix of high and low percentage shots. It is the kind of course where a rank beginner with a little coaching could break 50/100 but a NSCA Master HOA score won't be more than 98/100. In other words, there are enough "easy looking" shots to give the novice some confidence and enough "easy looking" shots to humble a guy like me who's been shooting sporting for a while.

Another plus is that it is a very "kid friendly" operation. It's hard to describe what I mean by that but you get the sense that kids are welcome there rather than simply tolerated. My 11 year old puller/"squad buddy to be" really appreciated that. More than a few staff members were looking at my kid when saying "I'm really glad you came." And ALL OF THEM acknowledged his existance by speaking to him. That is a big deal to kids who, like grown ups, don't really enjoy being at places where they know they aren't welcome.

In sum, the place is MORE than worth the 154.9 mile one-way drive from my home in Tahlequah. I've shot at fancier sporting courses, but none more fun or more accomidating to kids.

T-C

Latest posts

Top Bottom