Question About Wisconsin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked in the forum but could not find this subject.

Does anyone here know why Wisconsin won't honor Oklahoma SDA licenses?

I don't intend to go there, but I am curious.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wisconsin just passed their concealed handgun license law (went into effect November 1, 2011) and there are some aspects of the law that have not been fully enacted or understood yet. I imagine as time goes on that there might be more and more agreements between states dealing with reciprocity.

Wisconsin doesn't seem to have a lot of states that do accept their permit right now. I wonder how many states have a section in their laws like Oklahoma that says "The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state." So as soon as Wisconsin started issuing permits, Oklahoma automatically accepted it.

Alan Frizzell

Marksman
Reaction score

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
H.R. 822-the “National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011,” which has just been favorably reported by the U.S. House Judiciary Committee.
from: http://parkercountyblog.com/2012/01/13/political-report/

update: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/16/hr-822-concealed-carry-bill_n_1097997.html

Were this to succeed in the senate and be signed into law, would it not trump state law on reciprocity?
My guess is that it would. But the question was why does Wisconsin not honor Okie SDA licenses? They honor Kansas and Texas, so why not ours?

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My guess is that it would. But the question was why does Wisconsin not honor Okie SDA licenses? They honor Kansas and Texas, so why not ours?

Because the two states have not agreed to anything yet. That is why. Wisconsin has not had concealed carry for very long and the two people in each state responsible for the agreements either haven't talked about it or have not finalized an agreement yet.

If you really want to know, find out who is responsible in Wisconsin for setting up the agreements and call them. Oklahoma has a section that says Oklahoma will accept any state's license so it will not be up to Oklahoma to initiate the contact.

Latest posts

Top Bottom