Question for you cattlemen and pasture grass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. They were well established when I bought the place, and I’ve just left them alone. I should’ve mowed them when I had the skid steer up there last year. I mowed a bunch down on the river place, and now Johnson grass has taken over. :rolleyes2

side question- how do you like mowing with the skid steer vs tractor? Maybe pm better for this. Thank you.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Strange advice from somebody that uses a sword for home defense.
" On a side note, you plant sand plums in ways to funnel any attacker into kill zones "

. . . not as strange as the sand plums growing in the hallway 🤔🤣

Last edited:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My pasture is native that was no-till overseeded with a mixture of rye, oats and wheat. The only Johnson grass is outside the fence, in the ditches. Which we keep mowed. Neighbors, all around, keep Johnson under control.

The mix of natives, rye, oat, wheat keeps something green year young.
It has worked for me.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong but… isn’t Johnson grass poisonous to cattle and horses at a certain time of year?
No it puts out a acid if it's stressed. UNLESS and this is the kicker,you take a cow or calf straight out of a feedlot and throw them in a pasture of solid johnson grass it won't ever hurt t them. Because their gut is used to processing it. An old cow that has spent her life in a pasture fending for herself can about eat barbwire.ANY BOVINE getting thrown on a new pasture can founder.which is another reason you don't want a pasture with one species of grass.they NEED that variety to make their gut work right.corn,wheat,alfalfa anything will kill them if they eat enough without being used to it

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything yet that will choke Johnson grass out. I've grazed cattle on it for years and it still comes back. If it has ever gone to seed or cattle eating hay with seed heads you'll never get rid of it.
I sprayed 7 acres with MSMA, then I plowed and sprigged World feeder Bermuda for my cows to pasture on. The JG never came back. I sprayed every year because I had sand bures and the only way to keep those at bay was to Pre emerge in March or April. Took me about 2 years to knock em out and if I went 1 year without a Preemergent they were back

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Johnson Grass can be toxic to cattle at a certain time of year and maturity.
Yeah in the fall after hard frost. Rest of the year they can eat it unless it starts to wilt from heat/drought stress. If cattle are grazing on it, it never gets mature, they eat it too the ground all summer long.

Latest posts

Top Bottom