Question on non-resident CCL process

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now let me preface this with I have my Oklahoma CCL so this is not for me, but for some reason by brother in law and his dad both for some reason have it set in their heads that they want the easiest route possible for a CCL even both of them have the time (BIL is a medical sales rep, his father is a local ortho DR).

I told them to do the OK process as I would rather see them get the legal training instead of short cutting it and going the non-resident route.

Does the non resident route require any classes before getting the CCL?

Personally they both need the traning and information as neither one of them knows much about guns from what I can tell. My BIL and hiw wife chewed me out a couple of years ago when they found out I was carrying while around their kids. Now mind you I was 33 at the time and everyone in the family knew I had a CCL and almost always had a gun on me. That ended up in a nice in law disagreement of me telling them if they didnt like me carrying when I was around them then I would fix it by not coming around.

So what are you alls thoughts on the processes?

sixseven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You still have to take a class to get the Utah non-resident permit, but there is no shooting involved. Also they only go over basic common sense stuff, gun handling, and whatnot. They do not go over any do's and don'ts regarding Oklahoma in particular. I personally have my Utah CCL. It was easy and I got it much faster than I would have gotten my Oklahoma one (about 45 days), but now that I can carry anyway I'm planning on going to the Oklahoma class just because of the legal stuff they cover.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Florida non-res
You can ask for the forms online. Ask for an extra packet or two, they are very picky about things being done exactly right.
No class, no shooting required IF you have proof of some prior training. You are required to read the FLA legal booklet they provide and swear that you did so. A DD214 will do for proof of training. Sounds to me like your candidates have no training at all. If so, they need something. The packet and online info explains what counts in place of a class.
Fees ran around $117 for seven years when I got mine [plus prints, plus photos, plus notary, plus whatever else I forgot].

I have been reading legal documents all my life, and I am OK with getting the legal info I need in this way. If your candidates need someone to read it to them and answer questions, they won't be happy with this.

Honest, though, I agree with you that they need the training and info. Safe practice of CCW is 90% mental, 10% physical, and they sound like they lack 100%.

jej

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh Belive Me, Both Of Them Need The Training No Doubt. I Am In The Thought Almost All Ccl Carriers Need Training All Of The Time Even If It Is Just Continuing Training Like Shooting Once A Month.

The Extra Practice Will Never Hurt A Thing.

smokeyokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TJ, I have both OK and UT. The reason I got the Utah was there was a possibility that I might have to take a job out of state and did not want to lose my ability to carry. I took my class from Rod Snell and he covered what I thought was needed to know not only for non-resident but OK as well. All that being said UT is cheaper to get and so are renewals than OK. The time to get them was about the same. As for training goes they are no better off with the shooting portion of OK than without.

I consider myself a constitutionalist and I believe that you or any other law abiding citizen has a right to carry a firearm. However, our law says that we must have the license so I got a couple.

Now the training issue is something else. I am not sure what the statistics are but I get to see folks on a pretty regular basis that have zero gun handling skills. Some admitted, some in denial. Everybody that decides to regularly carry a firearm has the obligation to train over and above the CC course. If not lets hope they are the statistic that just gets the licesnse and leaves the gun in the nightstand. Otherwise they may be the statistic that gets murdered with their own gun.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TJ, I have both OK and UT. The reason I got the Utah was there was a possibility that I might have to take a job out of state and did not want to lose my ability to carry. I took my class from Rod Snell and he covered what I thought was needed to know not only for non-resident but OK as well. All that being said UT is cheaper to get and so are renewals than OK. The time to get them was about the same. As for training goes they are no better off with the shooting portion of OK than without.

I consider myself a constitutionalist and I believe that you or any other law abiding citizen has a right to carry a firearm. However, our law says that we must have the license so I got a couple.

Now the training issue is something else. I am not sure what the statistics are but I get to see folks on a pretty regular basis that have zero gun handling skills. Some admitted, some in denial. Everybody that decides to regularly carry a firearm has the obligation to train over and above the CC course. If not lets hope they are the statistic that just gets the licesnse and leaves the gun in the nightstand. Otherwise they may be the statistic that gets murdered with their own gun.

I also took my Utah from Rod. Not only did he cover the Utah stuff, but he also went over the Oklahoma stuff. He aslo stressed numerous times to know the gun laws of the state that you are standing in at that moment.

Non-resident offers two things over the Okie; cheaper, and will move with you to other select states. Okie license is void if you move out of state. Okie is also more expensive. The only thing that the okie requires over a quality utah is the shooting portion, which in oklahoma is a joke. And by joke, I mean it's very basic safety like "don't shoot me or anyone else and you pass" type stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom