Racism at OU

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People are up in arms like racist remarks are against the law. Were the words in poor taste? You bet. Were they racist? Sure. Was it against the law? No.

If you want to be a racist, be a racist. If you are offended, be offended. But, being offended does not give you any special rights, as the PC Word Police seem to think it does.

Who's acting like they broke the law besides you, sport?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that they had the right to free speech, and that they used it to say something offensive. That being said, OU is a PUBLIC school and as such is limited in how it can respond. Sanctioning individual students would smack of censorship (and a violation of free speech rights by the government) while terminating a relationship between the school and SAE as an organization does not.

This is true. I believe that route is a smart way to navigate this situation, however I don't think that punishing the whole for the actions of a few is going to do much, aside from save face.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
Having had my experiences with the Greek system when I was in college from '03 to '07, let me say that I am not surprised. The ignorance that exists in the Greek system never ceases to amaze me.

I wish that Oklahoma would get press for good reasons, rather than our lawmakers attempting to outlaw homosexuality or fraternities chanting racist slogans en masse.

/sigh

The Greek System needs to be abolished.

It serves no purpose, other than for privileged, narcissistic, douche-bags like this to herd up and act the fool.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Someone is saying on Facebook now that someone saw the confederate flag flying in a window of the OSU SAE chapter Saturday night.

Gonna get worse before it gets better. :popcorn:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dent-gives-members-36-hours-vacate-house.html

i.dailymail.co.uk_i_pix_2015_03_09_267A7FBD00000578_2986612_image_a_23_1425929797770.jpg

I am still having issues with this; seems like over-reaction. If I was one of their brothers, I'd probably whoop them myself for ruining my college times. But such a national reaction and punishing everyone seems so over-the-top for some hurtful words...it is by design!

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
People are up in arms like racist remarks are against the law. Were the words in poor taste? You bet. Were they racist? Sure. Was it against the law? No.

If you want to be a racist, be a racist. If you are offended, be offended. But, being offended does not give you any special rights, as the PC Word Police seem to think it does.

The First Amendment does not offer blanket protections. Why is this so hard to understand? Stand on your desk and start preaching for Satan. You will, most likely, quickly learn that you just lost your job. No one is saying any laws were broken, or that the young men involved should go to jail, but the fraternity has every right to chuck them out and the university has a right to chuck the fraternity off campus.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The First Amendment does not offer blanket protections. Why is this so hard to understand? Stand on your desk and start preaching for Satan. You will, most likely, quickly learn that you just lost your job. No one is saying any laws were broken, or that the young men involved should go to jail, but the fraternity has every right to chuck them out and the university has a right to chuck the fraternity off campus.

Kinda like ostracizing people who won't take vaccines...LOL :rolleyes2 It is perfectly LEGAL to open carry an AR-15 in Houston but just try it and see what happens to ya.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

[drops mic]

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Kinda like ostracizing people who won't take vaccines...LOL :rolleyes2

Yes, exactly like that. You have the right to be an ignorant anti-vaxxer and the rest of us have the right to ostracize you. The idiots on the bus have a right to be racist asshats, and the fraternity has the right to throw them out. Decent people have a right to be offended by them. Asshat type people have a right to defend them. It's nice to see you can grasp that simple concept.

It is perfectly LEGAL to open carry an AR-15 in Houston but just try it and see what happens to ya.

That strawman is so irrelevant it boggles the mind.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Greek System needs to be abolished.

It serves no purpose, other than for privileged, narcissistic, douche-bags like this to herd up and act the fool.

Broad, sweeping statements make you no better.

I happen to know some outstanding young men that you are calling "privileged, narcissistic, douche bags"...

PS My Son was in a Fraternity at a different University, I saw nothing like this there.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so we should support violence against those who say hurtful things? If the muslims attack cartoonists in France, that you will look the other way? But YES, I generally agree with you on principle that people should be prepared for the consequences of their actions. I do not support illegal actions or violence but I do agree that the frat boys and the French had to know they might piss some people off.

Hey, if a man calls a black man a ******, I will support both men 100%, but I'm not going to interfere with the black man's right to correct the name caller.

Latest posts

Top Bottom