Ram's new EcoDiesel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
There was a strong demand for 6.0l powerstrokes when they came out too, lol. I was a guneia(spell?) pig and bought one with few complaints.....didn't get burned like many did. I think all of the auto makers learned from that hopefully. You going to try the new diesel farmerbyron?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like the initial allocation of 8,000 ecodiesel trucks sold out in 3 days. Toyota did not sell 8,000 trucks in the month of January!! I do believe there may be a strong demand for this truck.
Not exactly. Dodge dealers ordered 8,000 EcoDiesels in the first three days; about 400 of them were customer sales. The dealers think there will be demand, and that supplies will be tight initially, so they jumped on it when they could order.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a strong demand for 6.0l powerstrokes when they came out too, lol. I was a guneia(spell?) pig and bought one with few complaints.....didn't get burned like many did. I think all of the auto makers learned from that hopefully. You going to try the new diesel farmerbyron?

Just bought a new half ton about a year ago so I won't be buying for the next 2-3 years. My BIL is one of the guys that got one ordered. Going to work out great for me to see if they are going to deliver on the claims. I will have a tester running around for me lol.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not exactly. Dodge dealers ordered 8,000 EcoDiesels in the first three days; about 400 of them were customer sales. The dealers think there will be demand, and that supplies will be tight initially, so they jumped on it when they could order.

IDK where your info comes from but I call BS. Frontier dodge in El Reno had 7 or 8 customers on order for Eco diesels. So you really think that only 400 are already sold nationwide? Dealers order for customers and the customers pay for them when they come in. Perhaps there are only 400 that paid in full up front but most people are going to wait until the truck gets in before they pay.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IDK where your info comes from but I call BS.
Call BS all you want; my info came straight from Automotive News, the journal of record of the automotive industry. I only have the free online subscription, so there are some articles I can only access on the day they're released, but I'll provide the link if I can still get it.

ETA: Here's the link: http://www.autonews.com/article/201...-than-8000-diesel-powered-ram-1500s-in-3-days

I'm not saying it's not an impressive start, but I wouldn't take MotorTrend's breathless exhortations as gospel. IMHO, if MT tells you water's wet, feel it.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call BS all you want; my info came straight from Automotive News, the journal of record of the automotive industry. I only have the free online subscription, so there are some articles I can only access on the day they're released, but I'll provide the link if I can still get it.

ETA: Here's the link: http://www.autonews.com/article/201...-than-8000-diesel-powered-ram-1500s-in-3-days

I'm not saying it's not an impressive start, but I wouldn't take MotorTrend's breathless exhortations as gospel. IMHO, if MT tells you water's wet, feel it.

I would imagine it is a matter of semantics. Orders are being placed by dealers that are ordering up trucks the way their customers want them optioned. While technically this will look like a dealer ordering for inventory, there is already a buyer waiting on the truck. So to try and assert that only 400 trucks have been preordered by customers is absurd. The trucks being ordered by dealers are customer builds that are essentially already sold.

I just hope this truck delivers on the claims made. If it can avg 25mpg and tow adequately and not be an absolute dog while maintaining reliability, it will gain market share.

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Orders are being placed by dealers that are ordering up trucks the way their customers want them optioned. While technically this will look like a dealer ordering for inventory, there is already a buyer waiting on the truck. So to try and assert that only 400 trucks have been preordered by customers is absurd. The trucks being ordered by dealers are customer builds that are essentially already sold.
I don't know about Dodge, but for Ford and GM, customer orders and dealer orders are coded differently when the order is placed. That's how they know which were already sold.

I hope Dodge does well; competition is good for everyone, and Ford and Dodge are certainly giving the buyers very different options.

Latest posts

Top Bottom