Range Etiquette

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, so I haven't been to a range since I got my permit... I just use a stack of ties.

I know most ranges say that all guns must be unloaded and/or cased, and usually at all is in bold print.

So, is the proper thing to do unload and case it in the car, or just carry as usual and declare it at the counter?

Yeah, I know, stupid question...

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never had a problem carrying concealed to any shooting range or gun club. If you've passed the criminal background checks and jumped thru all the damned hoops to get that carry license, those "empty, unloaded and cased" rules don't apply. Just tote your range gear, ie, eye and ear protection, pasters, stapler, spotting scope, etc. to the firing point and commence firing when ready.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you will be involved in an organized shooting event at a civilian range, most likely they'll run a "cold" range. That is gun unloaded, mag well empty, gun holstered or cased. When in doubt, also choose cased over holstered.

The facility may permit concealed carry into the facility, but you won't know that until your first visit. Make it a pleasant first trip; err on the side of conservative.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What the range doesn't want is a customer handling a weapon behind the firing line they want it cold and cased uncase at the firing line then load pointed down range. The process is reversed they want you to take the case to the shooting bench and case the weapon at the bench not carry the weapon to the case. Now obviously there are exceptions like USSA who allow you to draw from the holster and allow rapid fire but the standard civie norm is slow fire and if you plan on shooting it bring it in cold.

I was shooting once right after christmas with my son and several people were handling guns behind us showing off their new christmas "toys", it was careless and irresponsible, my PO meter went through the roof there was absolutely no good reason for us to be muzzle flashed and have a firearm pointed in our general direction.

So as much as I rankle at not being able to draw from concealment I understand the whole cold weapon cased until it hits the bench requirement at a couple of places I shoot.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I will carry my CCW piece in live. I would have it on and loaded if I was browsing. Any guns I carry in in a case are unloaded. Out of practice on that now, since I shoot on my property. I don't go "naked" unless it's illegal to "clothe" myself there. And such is NOT the case with ranges.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will carry my CCW piece in live. I would have it on and loaded if I was browsing. Any guns I carry in in a case are unloaded. Out of practice on that now, since I shoot on my property. I don't go "naked" unless it's illegal to "clothe" myself there. And such is NOT the case with ranges.

All fine and dandy. I carry at the range as well. If I am shooting my carry weapon you can bet I have a different one under my shirt, the range doesn't have a no CCW sign, and they are perfectly fine with your ccw as long as it remains concealed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom