Hearing Aids. Info Needed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to the hearing lab in Norman and spent a fortune on hearing aids. They help with high frequency, but do nothing about the fact that if there is background noise, I can't hear very well.
I've got tinnitus and went to an audiologist for a comprehensive battery of tests. My hearing loss is in the high frequency range and talked to the audiologist about hearing aids.

He also has high frequency hearing loss from hunting (as is mine) and wasn't too encouraging re hearing aids for just the reason you describe, viz. any background noise and he still can't hear.

As an aside, he was heavy in the gun lobby to make firearm's suppressors legal over-the-counter without all the Nazi Class 3 nonsense.

But, if and when I pull the trigger on hearing aids, I'll pay as much as I can afford. I suspect it's like so many other things, you get exactly what you pay for.

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a medium priced pair from Sams club about 5 years ago because they will retest me every year and adjust my hearing aids for free. Mine have a feature for noise reduction that tones down back ground noises which works great. No issues that required the hearing aids to be sent back to the factory for repair but l don't wear em all the time and they are kept in a case when not being worn.

IMHO hearing aids are ok if you really need em but watch out for sales people who are trying to oversell their product. I don't need to hear a writing pen or pencil scratching the paper when when I'm writing and l don't need to spend 5-6K for hearing aids when 2-3K will do the same job.

My hunting buddy has a pair with Bluetooth that links up with his cell phone which is handy and if l can get a pair for reasonable cost with this feature l might buy when this set is worn out

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
My father in law recently got hearing aids after years of putting it off. His are almost unnoticeable, and he can do all kinds of stuff with them. He can adjust the level of background noise/kinds of noise they pick up, he can adjust their sensitivity, which is handy at concerts and stuff. He can use them as a headset for his phone for taking phone calls, he can also set them to to where he can listen remotely. For example, if he is sitting at the far end of the table, he can hit a button, set his phone in the middle of the table or near whoever he is talking to, and then he gets to listen as if he is sitting where the phone is. Super cool stuff, and now he can hear better than I can, lol. He bought them at Costco this year or last year. I’ll ask him what the brand is.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have hearing loss related to military occupations. It finally got to the point I need hearing aids. The VA gave me a very thorough test and fitted me with some pretty high-end hearing aids. I tried wearing them about two weeks. They didn't seem to help me in understanding speech at all. The only thing they did was really annoy me...because the only thing I seemed to be able to hear was little irritating noises like cellophane being crumpled, wind, dog nails on the floor...stuff like that. They were also supposed to help with the tinnitus...they didn't. I went back for a follow up and had them adjusted. I still can't hear the things I need to hear but the annoying background noise is lessened. I guess that's good.

I hope you find what you need and it works well for you. I just don't like them, even though they have some really nice features. I can have a phone conversation right thru the hearing aids...that's something I really like.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to a audiologist, who is a 4 year trained real doctor, but be prepared to pay
lots for hearing aids. They could cost around 5k or so. I have ReSound hearing
aids and they work fine. They have bluetooth and have a smartphone ap so you
can control noise, enhance speech, restaurant setting etc. If I ever need to get
another pair I would like the in the ear type. They look like these ear devices that
the kids wear to listen to junk on social media. lol.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate mine. Went to Sam's and spent a fortune. Can't stand the mechanical sound they turn everything into. Plus, I've had major trouble with the finance company doubling interest on the note.

Latest posts

Top Bottom