Hearing Aids. Info Needed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgssamn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you really want to know what your hearing loss is my advice is go to real audiologist/professional. I am in Tulsa/ BA-- someone like Eastern Ear Nose and Throat. They will give you advice and not try to sell you something.
I have had hearing loss for many years.- hearing aids for a long time.
Everyone needs to understand that everyone's loss is different. costco might be just fine for someone with minor loss or pitch loss. I know several people that complain about their aids, and never go to anywhere but costco, etc.
Many cheap aids just increase volume- that will only help some.. The worse your loss, the more likely you will need a better hearing aid (more $$) to fix the problem.
My insurance (UHC) pays for hearing aids once every 3 years I think. of course you have to meet your deductible / coinsurance first. I have expensive colestrol medicine that meets my deductible by end of first qtr. (good thing? maybe) I believe BC/BS is doing similar now, but probably depends on plan for sure.
My mother has medicare, they paid as well but not quite as good. you need to research YOUR plan.

It is absolutely life changing for me to get hearing aids originally-- but your hearing changes also. so cheaper less technology aids get out dated if you have tough hearing loss and you continue to decline.

bottom line, if you are not happy with your hearing, I understand cost and how much, but if you dont get tested you won't know. If your hearing isn't better with the aids you receive and get programed, they should be able to tell you exactly why. (frequency too far gone for today's technology etc) that isnt the norm however for most people. if it is there are more expensive options if one qualifies such as a cochlear ear implant(not needed in most all cases, but if loss is profound, it is)

can't hear?-- get tested by a professional

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
~snip~

bottom line, if you are not happy with your hearing, I understand cost and how much, but if you dont get tested you won't know. If your hearing isn't better with the aids you receive and get programed, they should be able to tell you exactly why. (frequency too far gone for today's technology etc) that isnt the norm however for most people. if it is there are more expensive options if one qualifies such as a cochlear ear implant(not needed in most all cases, but if loss is profound, it is)

can't hear?-- get tested by a professional
I use hearing aids, and I also have a cochlear implant. On balance, the implant has worked well for me, but it renders the affected ear profoundly deaf without it and it is irreversible. But, the hearing in my right ear was about 60-70% gone, so I didn't lose that much.

In my case, I can perceive sounds that I didn't before, and that is a good thing. But the sounds that I do get are often distorted, and are hard to understand. Remember the old carbon mikes on the telephone? What I get sounds very much like that.

Like I say, the implant has worked well for me but it has been and continues to be an adjustment.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got mine at Costco four years ago. Half the price of other places came with a 2 year guaranteed. They did a hearing test first and told me what frequency I could not hear and custom made the aids to amplify just that frequency. They work perfectly and might have saved my marriage. Every time I go to Costco I drop them off at the hearing counter and they clean them and put all new parts on them for free.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I'm 52 eyars old and my hearing has gone to crap. Haven't been tested or anything like that but know both ears hearing have degraded quite a bit. % loss? Have no idea. Probably somehting I need to get tested for. I believe my earing issues are mostly caused by 25 years of driving and listening to the radio all these years. I do notice when I come to a stop or really slow down in my truck I have to turn the radio down as it seems so loud when less road noise, etc. In most restaurant settings It's very difficult to listen to conversations with groups of family or friends. Also, many years of not wearing proper hearing protection while working in the garage and doing lawncare. Overall, just not taking care of my ears while doing loud things. Probably like many of us on here.

I need to look into hearing aids but don't know where to start. I know the prices can range for $100-$2000+. I'd be fine spending $300-$600 but if can't get what may work best for me at that price point I can step up in price range too. Would prefer the ones that only go inside the ear canal and not have the type that hook over the back of the ear and part go inside. Battery or rechargeable, I don't know. Would like the ability to adjust the function using my phone for different environments/settings. What brand are you really happy with and what types/brands would you stay away from? Hearing aid websites to research?

Any intel you can provide would be great. Thanks
What I did was go to any Sam's location that offer FREE hearing test, and sell hearing aids. After looking at everything from one size fits all, mail order, to hearing aid stores, that will charge you what ever they think you will pay, on credit, many thousands in some cases, Sam's was the best deal I found! They test your hearing, then the computer adjust the hearing aids to what YOU need! Mine cost about $2500.00, my health insurance payed $500.00 of it., both likely more now! Sam's will retest your hearing anytime you think you need it, and reprogram your hearing aids free, if needed, plus that have always repaired mine free. They sell batteries that are $10.00 for a card of about 30/40. Like everyone else, when the new wore off, my hearing aids stay in the drawer most of the time, I actually only use them to watch TV, when my wife gets to complains of having it to loud, or things like family gatherings! Had I it to do over, I think I would have just bought some cheap one size fits all, no more than I use them, then if that didn't work go to Sam's and get a hearing test, and see what they say.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely get tested by an Audiologist. Find out what issues there is, where the hearing lose is and what frequency. Then do some looking to find the kind you want weather in the ear or behind the ear. Then you need to get the best you can afford where they can tune them to your needs. I am on my 4 th pair and still have not gotten a pair that is adjusted right. Thanks to the VA. They get me the highest end and I think that maybe part of the problem. I have Phonac now I like a lot of what they do but they sometimes turn off on there on, probably do to loud noise. Or my glasses hitting the controls, they are the behind the ear models. I had the high end Starkeys before and they worked great just not adjusted right missing to much the high frequencies. You might try a pair of Walker game ears and see if they help you. Good luck with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom