Range lead ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got about 150 lbs of range lead from MR ED today will it need any exta alloy added to it. It looks to be a mix of cast and jacketed bullets, have made 34 ingots so far and have about a one pound coffee can of jacket metal . I plan to flux (frankford armory band )it all once I have melted it all down into ingots .

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too have about 150lbs of lead from Mr Ed. I've melted enough so far to get a 20 lb cookie. I'm somewhat of a casting newbie but was reading some on the topic last night. Some guys use candle wax to flux it before making the ingots and then again when melting the ingots in the pot. I didn't use any type of flux when I initially melted the range lead and it was pretty nasty. Lots of smoke but fun to do.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read some reviews on the Frankfort product. Sounds like it will cause rust on all your casting tools but if you go in with that knowledge you can prepare for it.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it been almost an year since I cast and none of my 50+ yr old euipment shows any rust , you only use less than 1/8tp to flux 10 lbs , if go overbroad with it mit rust your items .

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm guessing you're gonna use a gas check?
Velocity has a lot to do with needing them and required hardness.
I lot of my plinking rounds out of my rifles are just WW.
Anything faster than pistol velo's I add linotype and test hardness.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
How hard is it to get the junk out of the lead? I've been kicking around buying some of this.

not hard at all, in fact it will just float to the top. i use a big spoon and a ladle to take it off the top. i use outdoor range lead after cleaning. sometimes i get a rock or two when scooping up with my shovel. a golfball size rock will float on top of lead!

Latest posts

Top Bottom