Range Report - Beretta CX4, .40SW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Disclaimers for this review:
  1. 1. I have never owned a rifle before this one, and only shot an AR once.
  2. 2. I tried to test in a way which would reflect my own abilities.
  3. 3. I had "ran" (walked) a 12k earlier in the day so I'm attributing part of my crappy shooting to having slightly wobbly legs.

Background

Ever since a year or two ago when I got my first Beretta PX4 I was hooked on the line of products. When I settle down and decide to shoot where I want, the bullet travels exactly where I want. But no matter how cool that is, I've been on the boards long enough that it seems like everyone has a cool AR or rifle of some sort that looks snazzy and I couldn't help but wanting one too.

Enter the CX4. Most people are familiar with it, but for those that aren't it is the Carbine version of the PX4 Storm. (CX = carbine PX = pistol). There are a few advantages for me personally: it takes the same mags as my PX4, it shoots the same caliber, it is small in size, and it looks darn cool. (these are a few of my favorite things)

First impressions

I got the CX4 on Wednesday, and was quite impressed. I'd handled it before, but it is so much nicer to look at your new toy in the case. The previous owner gave me the tour, and it was also quite impressive to see him strip it down, with no tools, in about what seemed like 3 seconds. It really is that simple.

The weight feels just about right at 5.5 (ish) pounds. With the red dot on there it achieves the look, is small enough for a defensive "in my house" situation, and it quite aimable. My friend John gave me a hard time because it was three days until I could go shoot and he said he could tell I was stir crazy.

Range Time

Liek I said, I'm not exactly sniper team material. Although, if anyone wants to donate a Barrett 416 and some ammo so I can train for a new career, I am definitely up for that! I started with 6 magazines through the PX4 since I hadn't shot it in at least a year. Then I moved on to the new baby. the first 3 mags I just put the target at 15 yards, turned on the red dot and threw some of the lead downrange.

The first shot was surprisingly easy on my. I was immediately inside the 9 ring. The most surprising bit was how little it kicked compared to what my expectations were. Compared to the PX4 I felt like I was shooting my old .22 and I really think the PX4 doesn't kick alot.

The only reference point that I have is the AR my friend Eric had chambered in 223 that I shot, and I remember that thing being ready to slap me in the face when I pulled hte trigger. After about 3 more shots I did not have any concerns about that with the CX4.

Accuracy

I have heard it said that the CX4 can do a nice tight group at up to 75/100 yards. Well, H&H only goes back 30 and I have never been a sniper. The weapon is equipped with a red dot which makes things much easier to see, but I don't think I personally could get the range out that far without practice time.

The 1st attached photo really made my day. I had the CX4 on the bench using the red dot and the target was at about 25 yards. This was about the 3rd magazine that I had shot through it. I was so surprised I wasn't seeing holes after the 7 rounds I shot, I thought I'd pull the target back and see how terrible I was. Surprisingly I was pretty darn nice. So I didn't shoot at that one anymore to mess it up!!

The 2nd attachement is a bit more telling. I loaded three mags with 10 shots and then did 6 groups of 5 shots. I didn't follow the order on the target, and note that on the 6th group, I was aiming at the number "3" rather than the target itself.

The first and second groups were shot standing with the target 20 yards down range. This would have been the 4th mag I had shot through it.

The 3rd and fourth groups of 5 were a bit better. I used the bench to steady the shot, but I also put the target out about another 10 yards. Don't believe the photo because the I actually shot low and left on those groups because I flipped the sheet on the hanger before shooting.

The 5th and 6th group are both much tighter. the 5th was standing at about 20-25ish yards and the 6th was using the bench at the same. I think it's pretty clear to see that the more time spent, the easier it is to pass some gun control onto the target in a nice tight group.

On average, I the group size was about 6 inches when standing and about 3 inches when using the bench. I'm thinking that I might go ahead and get a scope for it and try it out at longer range, but the greater chance rests with this one being a safe queen that I pull out because it is extremely fun to shoot. Had I only had more time and money for ammo I probably could have a lot better pics to put up that made me look better.

Final thoughts

I have definitely had my expectations exceeded. I was hoping hte hype was right, but didn't really believe that it would be quite as much fun as people said it would be, or as accurate as people said it would be. However, on both accounts people were right. I don't feel bad that I wasn't better since I never had put more that 15 rifle rounds down a range.

Is this the most practical thing in the world for me? Maybe not, but it sure does make me happy to look at it and go "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, you're a sexy gun and could kill bad guys if they intrude into my house." It's the kind that if I was a gun and wanted to mate, I would totally go for this one. Anyways, hope people find this helpful, let me know if you have questions or feedback!!

Attachments

• CX4_Testing_011.jpg
    CX4_Testing_011.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 164
  • CX4_Testing_031.jpg
    CX4_Testing_031.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 150

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have a friend who has that carbine in a .45 caliber. was fun to shoot out at banner range.

Don't turn it into a safe queen, don't let her get lonely.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good review man. Who cares if your not a sniper, its all about having fun!

Most definitely! This was my tax-refund treat to myself. I debated for a while about just getting a matching PX4 since they I strongly believe that it is a fabulous firearm, but I wanted to get something with a bit of form and function to!

And I hope she doesn't turn into a safey queen --- I just hope ammo stays (sorta) reasonable so that I can go play. Because in the real world I will absolutely hope I'm ready in case the occasion arises to take care of business in my house, I just hope I never have to have that happen, ya know?

Latest posts

Top Bottom