Range Report- Defensive Shotgun Loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Freeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just wanted to give some input on two loads i've been testing.

Winchester PDX-1 Buck & Ball-

2 3/4 inch 12 Ga.

It has performed very well for me out to 25 yards. It literally shoots a flying triangle from hell. A heavy rifled slug is paced by 3 pellets of 00 buck. At 30 yards out of my 590A1 I had two periphial hits with the buck, one pellet flew off, but the rifled slug shot A-Zone. I really like this load for any thing that needs to be taken off their feet within reasonable distance. At close range it seems to take stopping power to a new level. I like the added insurance of the buckshot, and for creating a larger wound cavity. (As if the slug isn't enough!)

The other load I have been shooting alot of is

Hevi-Shot's Personal Defense

2 3/4 "T" Shot

I throws 35 .20 Caliber Pellets, and I am incredibly impressed with the way they shoot out of my Mossberg. At 25 yards they open up, but I have never thrown shot this uniform out of any shotgun, let alone a cylinder bore. I absolutely cannot say enough about this load. Highly reccomended for the house, or for any rural shotgun for critters. I cannot wait to shoot some coyotes with this. The shells are bright orange, If you find some, buy all of them. I did.

Pictures will be added, and hopefully one soon with a sleeping yote.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless your coyotes are pretty close, you probably aren't going to like the results. I have a #4 buck load (I think #4 is .25) which will do 'em in at about 60 yards, but I don't think the "T" will do any better, even benig the heavy non-toxic stuff. I don't know if it's tungsten of bismuth, but even with tungsten, you aren't going to get a lot of range with a shotgun.

The one I killed with the #4s was a target of opportunity on a sandhill crane hunt several years ago. He was at about 60 yards, and it laid him down very convincingly, but I wouldn't want to push it more than maybe another 10 yards. That load is an ounce and a half of hard lead 4 buck--32 pellets in a 2 3/4 inch AA case. Goes a little over 1200 fps and kills cranes very dead. CB

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i agrre with criticalbass,#4 buck(20 grains weight a pellet) is light enough,main reason to use 27 pellets of #4 is on moving targets at medium to long range25-50yds becasue of wide dispersion area.T shot(13.7grains a pellet)is too light in my book and besides that hevi-shot costs some bucks now dont it??#4 buck is way more cheaper and a more dependable killer.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Didn't the FBI switch to #4 buck due to the density of the load?

In case I run into some zombies, I load my 590A1 with alternating loads of #4 and 00 with the last round being a 3" loaded with #4 (41 pellets). I keep four slugs in the Speedfed stock with six more rounds in the SideSaddle (3 #4 and 3 00).

To the earlier post on what caliber is #4 is ... I always thought it was 24 caliber and 00 was around 33 caliber.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you are right #4 is .24 & 20 grains and 00 is.33 & 54 grains.#1 buck is .30 caliber,& 40 grains . 000buck is .36 & 70 grain,0000buck is .380 &85 grain,T shot is .20 & 13.7 grain .1 oz slug is 438 gr 1&1/4 oz is 547 gr. 20 ga 5/8 oz slug is 273 gr ..410 1/5 oz slug is 88 gr.1/4 oz slug is 110 gr.smaller shot does not drop velocity faster than hevier shot ,but it has less foot lbs of energy per pellet due to less mass.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice report, I personally keep and shoot Federal Tactical loads in my Remington 870 Tactical. They are 00 - 9 ball shells and do very well for home use from what I saw at the range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom