Range Report - Heartland in Edmond

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What I think I learned yesterday....

1. Excellent friendly staff at Heartland, and reasonable prices on ammo & fees.
2. Great range, except for the tiny overcrowded area behind the firing line; could use a bit more lighting as well in the target area, but overall much better experience than H&H (I do indoor ranges only very rarely).
3. Girlfriends over 45 with arthritis do NOT like the long & heavy 'pre-sprung DAO' trigger of S&W autos (in this case, the 3953). In fact, they hate it.
4. The STI GP6 (rented) is a very smooth-shooting and accurate pistol, but with that weird high-forward safety placement; overall, thumbs up. Interesting rotary bbl.
5. The sproing sound of an AR is like an old familiar friend.
6. The PMR-30 has ridiculously-light recoil
7. The PMR-30 has an excellent, very light & short trigger
8. The PMR-30 is quite accurate
9. The PMR-30s factory sights are on; they are adjusted for dead-on at around 10 yards straight out of the box.
10. The PMR-30 mag does indeed hold 30
11. The PMR-30 is a massive hootenanny; thumbs way up. Unloading 30 .22 mags while staying on target in rapid-fire is good cheap fun. :) (Other people were rapid-firing, and I didn't see rules against it, so I'm assuming that Heartland does not have a no-rapid-fire rule, do they? I should have asked but they were crazy busy).
12. The only drawbacks found thus far to the PMR-30 are (a) the heel safety spring is too light - it can dislodge mag accidentally when hit due to weird grip of girlfriend, and (b) it is suspectible to limp-wrist induced jamming, which the girlfriend could create, but I could not - this is par for a lot of plastic guns however, so no biggie. But the heel safety spring issue is a concern, if one were to use it as a defensive pistol.
13. The Star Firestar is accurate and very soft-shooting, being as heavy as it is - the only one the girlfriend really got along well with, besides the STI. Think I'll keep it.
14. Kahr .380 is flawless with ball ammo. As accurate as you can ask for from that type of gun.

That is all.

Merlin72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got home from Heartland and dinner at Outback. I love this place. I drive all the way from Yukon to shoot there instead of H&H. Don't get me wrong , I don't hate H&H , I just like Heartland that much better. No smoke , well lit , and I actually had to take my jacket off because It was so hot in there I was starting to sweat. On top of that , everyone I have ever dealt with there are awesome. As much business as H&H does I think they could redo the range a section at a time and make it alot more comfortable. The only time I shoot indoors is when its too dang hot or cold to shoot outside. Other than keeping the wind off of you H&H is only a couple degrees warmer or cooler (depending on the season) than the outside temp. I know theres probably a whole lot more than meets the eye to redoing a range. I know that the ventilation system alone is probably a fortune. But , I sit back and think , newer business, little guy , competitive prices , great range = (Heartland). Well established , big dog on the block , not so great range or prices = (H&H). JS...

Latest posts

Top Bottom