Rare Earthquake Warning for Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never thought I'd see the day the Reddog1 would blow up my Twitter account for three days straight !! Dang!! It was like Hiroshima. KABOOM!!

And yes,.. this earthquake warning is like warning Oklahomans that the wind is going to blow,. .somewhere,.. sometime and that it might cause some damage.

Meh, my wife is responsible for that. LOL

She's trying to bring up the rear, and bring in a few more sales during firearms slow season (summer)

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quoted from dictionary dot com

noun
1. a violent, tropical, cyclonic storm of the western North Atlantic, having wind speeds of or in excess of 72 miles per hour (32 m/sec).

I don't see how that "storm" pictured would be classified as a hurricane. Yes it rotates in a tropical storm like fashion but there is no way that it had sustained wind speeds of 72 mph +

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay I was being facetious, but it did make hurricane status over land and in Oklahoma by your definition. This was the remnants of tropical storm Erin in 2007. 82 MPH winds before the instrument at Watonga failed as a matter of fact. :thumb:

Typically tropical low-pressure systems will lose strength once the center of the storm moves over land. The reason for this is tropical systems primarily rely on latent heat, a process where they gain energy from the conversion of water vapor to liquid, for their energy source. While Erin did weaken during its track across west Texas, it mysteriously strengthened and actually gained intensity as it entered Oklahoma. Erin initially made landfall around 7am on August 16, 2007 near Lamar, Texas. It weakened immediately, and the National Hurricane Center stopped issuing advisories on Erin only 3 hours after it made landfall.

However, late on Saturday night August 18, 2007 Erin made a strange and seemingly unprecedented move by intensifying as it approached southwest OK. Why? After some study and careful observation, I have come to the conclusion that the low-level jet stream combined with copious amounts of gulf moisture produced an intense area of thunderstorms that fed the storm so to speak. These storms essentially replaced the latent heat the storm normally loses over land. Another contributing factor was an upper-level trough of low pressure that passed over Oklahoma that night. The center of Erin then proceeded slowly northeast toward central Oklahoma while producing hurricane force wind gusts at times and rainfall amounts up to 11 inches unofficially. Sadly, Erin was the direct result of 6 fatalities in Oklahoma as well as considerable wind and flood damage. The highest wind gust recorded was 82 mph at the Watonga, OK airport. However, the instrument failed at that moment so it is possible the winds were even stronger. Flooding even caused I-40 to be shut down between Yukon and El Reno at one point!

Source

coorsman_ok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay I was being facetious, but it did make hurricane status over land and in Oklahoma by your definition. This was the remnants of tropical storm Erin in 2007. 82 MPH winds before the instrument at Watonga failed as a matter of fact. :thumb:

Well heck I should have been lookin for Jesus! I've got all kinds of questions for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Added a rider for earthquake insurance today for my homeowners. $40 a year with a 2% deductible.

It does not cost a lot and I would rather deal with a 2% deductible rather than a fema loan ******** in the event we have a major earthquake here in OK.

Latest posts

Top Bottom