Ratchet Rifled/ Canted Rifling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Who needs a bucket full when all it should really take is one! I have no interest in doing "general" type work. The vast majority of the work I do is for those that appreciate a job well done and to their satisfaction. The folks I work for, almost 100%, went thru basic, know what they want, and know how to "squeeze" a trigger. They spend more on barrel blank than many spend on a rifle. If your doin' what I do for the average guy your climbing up hill 'cause he hasn't a clue, he expects the rifle to do it for him. Ya' still gotta' know how to drive! You're trying to compare two different shooting disiplines, and I didn't ask that question. What I ask was "does anyone have personal experiance with 5C or ratchet rifling?"

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Well I certainly didn't mean to get you all riled up. I was meerly responding to the question of "how much difference" it would make for the average shooter. More to the point YES I have personal experience with the ratchet rifling and even the 3 grove slant rifling. Pac Nor is trying. Yes they shot great, any better than a good old Krieger/Hart/Schneider/K&P??? No, but not any worse. Velocity was the same and couldn't justify the cost over any other quality barrel.

As for the "bucket of shells" comment...shooting is a perishable skill and it takes constant practice to be at the top of your game whether it be bench rest or action shooting, or Hi-Power. Yes it "only takes one", but there are quite a few more behind that "one" that allows that "one" to work. KurtM

Oh forgot to add that gain twist barrels and slant rifling was tried way back in the middle 1800s as a way of A. reducing fouling( slant rifling) and B. to allow a bullet to ease into the rifling causing less bullet deformation and theoretically increase accuracy (gain twist) Nothing new here, just a bit better machining these days

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you'll go back to post #6 you will see that "I ordered a 5C for back-up", I think that means the shooter I ordered it for practices alot and wants minimal down time, and doesn't want to miss a match, when the barrel the rifle is wearing becomes not accurate enough to suit him. In my recent barrel search I found that the Shilen Ratchet Rifled or Broughton 5C were no more expensive than conventionally rifled barrels by the same manufactures.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Well see you already know all about this stuff and remeber the customer is always right so....?? When they first came out they were more expensive, I'm glad to see they aren't now, and they still aren't worth the money to me, so you will never have to worry about building a rifle for me, besides since I am sponsored by J.P. Enterprises I really don't have to worry about all this barrel mumbo-jumbo as if it isn't shooting well enough I just send it in for a replacement...good barrels should just cost shipping.:) KurtM

Latest posts

Top Bottom