RE: Concealment Challenge January 29 at Heartland Outdoors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been to several of these matches and Mike and David have always been good ROs. Dave I love your matches and I'll see you Sunday. I think I should get to shoot for free cuz I am so damn sexy! Just saying.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The pistol was unloaded and the RO did stop him right as he was pulling it from the holster. That being said, it was a DQ offense and the shooter should have been DQ'd ....

Not that I'm nitpicking or somehow looking for an excuse, but I've read through the rules, and I can't find where that would be true. Can you point it out for me please.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mitch, I apologize for discussing your situation in public. I should've sent you a PM about it at the time. I will extend an olive branch by inviting you back to the Carrygun Match as my guest. IE; your match fee is waived. I hope you take me up on it.

Andreii, you are not supposed to draw your gun from the holster until told to do so by the RO. This should've been covered in the New Shooter meeting. Of course, your invitation to a free match still stands. I hope you take me up on it as well.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Andreii, you are not supposed to draw your gun from the holster until told to do so by the RO. This should've been covered in the New Shooter meeting. Of course, your invitation to a free match still stands. I hope you take me up on it as well.

I understand.

Both you and pstmstr said that it is match DQ offense, aka "go home". The only thing I found in the rules regarding unloaded pistol was stage disqualification if pointed uprange or dropping it. Rules also say you have to "refrain from handling". Obviously any rules can implied and enforced per organizer's discretion ... but just to make sure, please clarify.

I just need to know if the "new" RO indeed made a mistake by not DQing me - or you just badmouthed him for sake of argument because you are "old" :laugh6:

Thanks for the invite and I appreciate the friendly gesture. I really do. I'm spending 8-12 hours a week at the range already, and I will have to dedicate a lot more time to "action shooting", so that I can be competitive to justify 100:1 wait/shoot ratio (which can be improved by limiting squad sizes). As far as timed events go - I have drag racing mindset: if I'm not "racing" side by side or known "time" (like the whiteboard I was talking about) it's very hard to get motivated. If I'm just doing "my best" - I'll do it on my own time, place and pace.

Are there any standard stages with known good/bad times?

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rule 10.5.1 states:

"Handing a firearm at any time except when in a designated safety area or when under the supervision of, AND IN RESPONSE TO A DIRECT COMMAND ISSUED BY, a Range Officer."

You cannot come up to the line and draw your gun before told to do so by the RO.

Again, this was covered in the New Shooters briefing.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like someone wants to argue instead of play.

I will shoot with you guys Sunday. In order to expidite things...I will pay the match fee, fill out my score card in advance... and go to Braums for a ice cream cone (or two) ... that should speed things up a couple of minutes.

Relative cost of sport... Team roping... $40K (I had cheap used stuff) Truck and trailer...$200 + fuel, two nights in a hotel... Plus a $5000 horse... and another $2500 in tack and gear...vet bills etc.

On a good weekend... I might spend 30 or 40 seconds actually roping .... less if I missed early. Action shooting is cheap in comparison. $20 bucks to get out of the house and mingle with like minded folks having a good time....

Latest posts

Top Bottom