Read before you travel!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took my CCL class at 2A here in Tulsa and our instructor said that all they can do if they catch you carrying (in Oklahoma) in spite of the sign is ask you to leave and if you refuse then they can call the police to have you removed.
This is not the case in New Mexico. Every year I call the New Mexico State Police and ask what laws have changed. I called about 3 weeks ago, because we are fixing to head back for a couple of weeks. You can carry in any store that does not sell for consumption. Here is the catch. If they have a NO GUN sign, then you can be arrested. They said that the sign does not have to be posted on the door. It can be anywhere in the store. He told me that they are trying to get the law changed, so that is has to be posted on the door, but no law yet. Other then that, it is pretty much like Oklahoma. I always call. I called Florida, before we went down there. It only takes about 15 minutes to cover your butt.

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is not the case in New Mexico. Every year I call the New Mexico State Police and ask what laws have changed. I called about 3 weeks ago, because we are fixing to head back for a couple of weeks. You can carry in any store that does not sell for consumption. Here is the catch. If they have a NO GUN sign, then you can be arrested. They said that the sign does not have to be posted on the door. It can be anywhere in the store. He told me that they are trying to get the law changed, so that is has to be posted on the door, but no law yet. Other then that, it is pretty much like Oklahoma. I always call. I called Florida, before we went down there. It only takes about 15 minutes to cover your butt.

Gee I fail to see the connection to my statements and your reference to correct me. I made NO mention of New Mexico in any way, shape or form. My point was that the "4th Degree Felony" sign that Dennis was talking about. I was trying to distinguish if the sign that he was talking about was posted as pure horseshit of if there is some federal law that I am not aware of. Still have not got an intelligent answer so if you have one to offer, I am all ears...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gee I fail to see the connection to my statements and your reference to correct me. I made NO mention of New Mexico in any way, shape or form. My point was that the "4th Degree Felony" sign that Dennis was talking about. I was trying to distinguish if the sign that he was talking about was posted as pure horseshit of if there is some federal law that I am not aware of. Still have not got an intelligent answer so if you have one to offer, I am all ears...

The legalese at the bottom of the sign inside the restaurant was too small to read. I couldn't tell if it was federal or State.

Honest question, I don't know that much about levels of felony. Why would a 4th degree point to a federal law?

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe the term "Felony", regardless of degree, is a reference to violation of a federal law not state law. I am no expert... maybe JB will chime in with a lawyer's prospective...

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score

I am glad you go to the trouble to call and ask, but that really doesn't give you a leg to stand on, and the people you are talking to may have no more idea of what is new, old, legal or illegal than some of our poorly-educated officers we have read about in Oklahoma. Personally, if I wanted to be most sure and most safe, I'd get a copy of their most up-to-date laws on the subject and peruse them myself, as well as carrying a copy with me.

Just sayin'... I've had plenty of commissioned law enforcement officers in Oklahoma who were completely and totally wrong in their assessment of our own laws, even those in place for years, much less any that had recently changed.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had the same experience calling the ODW for game law questions.
Some of them are written so poorly that they are impossible for the officers to give a definitive answer to saying its wrong or right. They give their interpretation of what they think the law is and enforce it accordingly. Its up to the person charged to prove their innocence, not the way the constitution says its supposed to be.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a lawyer but I don't think that a felony crime is necessarily federal. A felony is a crime punishable by more than one year in prison.

Latest posts

Top Bottom