Realtor carrying while showing HUD homes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am torn on this one and CLEET can't answer it, so seeing what ya'll say. Gov owned buildings are off limits under Title 21 SS 1277, however it says for the purpose of conducting business with the public. Since it is government owned, and the Realtor is acting on behalf of the government, would it prohibited, or would it be as if the government were contracting the work out, therefore being allowed? Since the Realtor could be working for the buyer, and the Realtor is conducting business, would it be permitted since there is no government agent involved?

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I rarely say this, as I'm not completely fond of the idea, but it's one of those times in my mind that "concealed means concealed." This is one of the reasons I'd never become a Realtor. Too many chances for bad stuff to happen to you, as happened recently.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of govt owned buildings are not covered under that prohibition, usually because there are NOT GOVT EMPLOYEES working there. Even school property is not covered if the property is not used for educational purposes (schools sometimes own and rent out farm land not connected to the campus). The stated situation is ambiguous, like CLEET said, because public property can also be posted by the agency or board that controls the property (OK Attny Gen opinion, libraries). Did you see any govt employees (defined in law)? Did you see any signs? If not, what are you worried about?

You aren't going to find anything in the law that says it is permitted, just that property owners can control firearms on their property, and the attorney general has said that includes public property that is not otherwise prohibited by statute.

Neither OSBI, CLEET, nor SDA instructors are in the business of interpreting the law, and as I always say in class, if you don't understand the plain reading of the law, your only recourse is to hire a qualified lawyer to advise you. I am not he.

drew

Marksman
Reaction score
As a Realtor also, I'd be curious too. I would think, dangerous word there, that you're ok as more often than not you are working for the buyer, not Freddie/Fannie. Now if you are listing the property, you aren't really the one listing it as you are really an independent contractor for you brokerage, unless you are your own broker; in which case, call a lawyer for a better advice.
TAKE ALL THIS AS BABBLE AND NOT LEGAL ADVICE!!!!
Would like to hear from a lawyer on this too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom