Recommendation for uneven driveway

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Over time the squares of cement have moved a bit and so there are some gaps between them and some edges are higher than others. What do you guys recommend to smooth it out a bit? Grind down the cement that is taller? Put something in the gaps? I don't want it to be easy to trip on.

cwproud

Marksman
Banned
Reaction score
Over time the squares of cement have moved a bit and so there are some gaps between them and some edges are higher than others. What do you guys recommend to smooth it out a bit? Grind down the cement that is taller? Put something in the gaps? I don't want it to be easy to trip on.
I had some guys come out a while back and grind a few slabs down even on my sidewalk, since the city apparently doesn’t know how to build things that last. Cost a few hundred, and I’m happy with it.

I have seen companies that inject foam underneath slabs to bring them up to level. But I don’t know about all that.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At its worst one slab might be approaching 1" taller than the others. They are also moving apart so there is a gap of maybe 2" between them where they used to have a piece of wood, 1" wide. So I guess I've got two issues, getting the height aligned a bit better (or maybe grinding can make that better), and filling in the gaps between the blocks a bit with some type of material.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have a big tree within 60 foot of that slab?
Trees will push concrete a long ways.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dri...#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:b9c617a6,vid:w-YE-kWtp34
My grandmothers driveway looked horrible cracks and scaling from all the salt put down for 50 years and not level between slabs.

I got concrete and concrete resurfacer and it looked nice when finished.
I used muriatic acid on it first to clean and etch it as there were a lot of oily spots.
Very wide floor squeege

This below may work for you if you want to make the low slab level with the high slab.
mix pour and taper it in with a long board.

Quickcrete sand topping mix.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the gaps, this stuff:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sika-29...olyurethane-Sealant-in-Gray-7116080/300934522works great, but priced accordingly. Take measurements of your gap and purchase backer rod (foam rod) slightly larger than your widest gap and pack it down in gap till you have about 1/2" left till slab surface then caulk any holes or remaining gaps and dam up both ends needing filled. The sikaflex will find any hole or gap in your work area and will bleed out leaving you scrambling to patch the dam breech. Lol. Preparation is key. I used it on the transition between garage slab and driveway where the wood filler was loose and warping causing a trip hazard. Still holding strong 3 years later.

Latest posts

Top Bottom