Recommendations for a 1911 in stainless

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egriton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My raise bumps my salary up about 20% so $1000 isn't an issue.... though I tend to be frugal.

Right now, I'm leaning towards a full size Ruger SR1911.. I like the blued safety with the stainless frame, as well as the skeletonized trigger... Or, maybe get something other than that and then adapt into this look?

Let me also ask this... I am a fairly good shot... if you guys know the metal plates at the OKC gun club pistol range that is adjacent to the rifle range.... I can with my CZ hit 20ish in a row without a miss. So, given that, I'd like a 1911 that could become match-grade if I ever find the time to really hone my shooting and compete. Will the Ruger do it?

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a pretty accurate shakedown from my experiences and experiences of others I've read. I love Kimber guns, they are absolutely beautiful and everyone I've ever shot worked great, however, their reputation for reliability has suffered over the last several years. Why? I have no idea but hopefully they will get their act together because they make fantastic guns when they work.

I would also agree about STI guns, they aren't exactly factory guns since they are hand finished by a gunsmith and they are, in my opinion, the best 1911's you can buy without moving up to manufacturers like Les Baer, Ed Brown and Wilson. My STI Elektra is spectacular.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gen 4 Glock 19 a fine choice. Get a color other than black if you want the potential for value appreciation. You might get lucky if the color is discontinued but desired.

A Springfield Armory Rangemaster in 9mm or .45ACP is a fine value. You will likely find that you will shoot it, especially the 9mm, due to modest ammo costs. The Rangemaster is an excellent product.

If you can get a Colt cheap, with box and papers, go for it; it may appreciate in value better. You won't enjoy shooting it near as much as a Rangemaster though. Aren't guns made to shoot?

?????? range officer maybe? or is there something new i don't know about?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, I meant to also say that I had an all stainless Kimber Compact (4" on officers frame) for a while.

Fantastic trigger, superbly accurate, and meh reliability. It was good once I figured out which mags it didn't like, and once I learned that it ate recoil springs every 6-800 rounds.

It was also *HEAVY* for the size. It weighed nearly as much as a full size 5" GI. It did have the full length guide rod, bushingless bull barrel, and magwell. If it had been a full size, or a lightweight compact, I would probably still have it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom