Red River Showdown

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder how much of this is player protect against changing conferences? I do not care about sports but I enjoy thinking about problems.

I was going to come in today and give the OU fans a hard time, but I think your team did that for me.
LOL yeah there isn’t much you can do to top the actual score :laugh6:…..still giving Venny a chance but damn that was rough

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was at the fair with my gf, and we walked past a TV showing the end-game activities. I said to her, “Let’s stop and see what the final score was.”

When that was flashed on the screen, I thought, “Holy carp!!! I wonder what the Sooners fans on the forum are saying!” :lmfao:

You should get a shirt to memorialize what you thought about the final score. :laugh6: 😉

1665274435216.png

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the other disappointing things that happened or didn’t happen was that there was no fly over or any kind at the end of the National Anthem.
I can’t remember a time when there hasn’t been a fly over at the end of National Anthem. Hmm…

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And like I said I am giving him 2 full years, taking over a gutted program isn‘t easy. The Norman money grew tired of Carls BS last year, so he’s working with what he has. But I don‘t know if the rest of the support system will give him 2 years takin a$$ whippins like that…, at least not from Texas. Personally I find him to be a gem of a human, but in the end they pay you 7 mil a year to win, and if you can‘t do that they will replace you. I personally think he deserves 2 full year and he hasn’t even been there for 1 as of yet.
How come none of the OU fans talked about a "rebuilding year" at the start of the season? Sure you lost a really good coach and seveal really good players but in the end you all were esctatic about Venebles and several of his assitance and then came the transfer portal players to OU. So much greatness came into Norman that the OU recruiting class was top 5 or so and OU was ranked #6 preseason. That is not considered a rebuilding year no matter how much you wish it was.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
How come none of the OU fans talked about a "rebuilding year" at the start of the season? Sure you lost a really good coach and seveal really good players but in the end you all were esctatic about Venebles and several of his assitance and then came the transfer portal players to OU. So much greatness came into Norman that the OU recruiting class was top 5 or so and OU was ranked #6 preseason. That is not considered a rebuilding year no matter how much you wish it was.
in college football, where ranking matters like pageantry in a beauty contest, the vaunted pre-season ranking is the end all be all advantages. if the fans are told by the media that team x is going to REALLY win it all this year:

>media sells more
>fans buy tickets
>fans hyped
>team inevitably loses
>repeat

i mean, when are the season tickets sold? it's surely not once you realize a team isn't going to have it.

and that's pretty much. in a sport where one or two losses ends a season, EVERY year is a both a YEAR TO WIN IT ALL and a "rebuilding" year because the reality of "this is year wherein they COULD WIN" and "this is year wherein they CANNOT WIN" are both equally possible and in an almost every single possible outcome BOTH will occur in the same year.

there's no like...."win now" in a college sport wherein you have constant replacement and all you need is 3 months of summer, one red/white game, and a REALLY friendly relationship with the local sports media and you've got another year where you are top of the polls. once you ultimately lose and fall, you are in this "rebuilding" mode because you get quality game time, maybe even bowl time for your players.

totally different concept than like "we have this guy for x years on y contract with z salary cap and in addition to these other contracts that limit our roster flexibility we MUST win now" in a pro sport. the fans can just be infinitely gamed and.....i mean i *think* they see it? i dunno.

or you just go and enjoy the games. those people are cool. but man there aren't many of them.

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Did you see the laundry list of players that were injured during the TCU game? It's not just the players that transferred, but also the players that have been hurt since the start of the season.

A solid recruiting class does not mean those guys are ready to play in Year 1. They need that year to build muscle and conditioning, and also adapt to the speed of the game. That's why coaches start putting these guys in to get reps when you're up 30+ points in the 4th quarter.

I'm a huge Brent Venables fan but frankly, he just doesn't have much to work with right now. Let's look at our QB situation.

Dillon Gabriel - Most experienced guy in QB room. Out indefinitely.

Davis Beville -- Transferred in from Pitt where he redshirted 2019, threw a grand total of 10 passes in 2020, and threw a whopping 22 passes in 2021.

General Booty - Junior College transfer. He had okay numbers at that level, but it's still not the same as playing D-1 level football.

Ralph Rucker IV - Redshirt freshman who played 2 snaps for Western Carolina in all of 2021.

Micah Bowens - Transferred in from Penn State, where he didn't play in the 2 years he was there.

Nick Evers - True freshman. 4-star prospect. But still a true freshman. I wouldn't be surprised if he started next week. if Dillon Gabriel is still out.

Also remember, most of this team was recruited by the previous regime. These aren't Venables players for the most part. You can train someone in a scheme, but if they just don't have the talent to execute it, that can't be fixed. Look at the accuracy (or lack thereof) from Dillon Gabriel in the TCU game. Coaches can't make throws for guys, or make catches for guys. At some point they have to execute. That's not a coaching failure. That's a recruiting failure.

While I agree this is the worst implosion I have ever witnessed at OU, I think it’s fair to give BV a full 2 years, if we take a beating like this next year I don’t think there will be much of an option he will be dumped. You are right the boosters are watching and they don’t like what they have seen so far. I hate to say it…..but it looks like we should have looked at Heupel, he seems to be doing well in his second year.

Heupel would still be working with this same group of players. You think he could have done better with what OU has than Venables has? Venables knows how to coach. The players just suck for the most part.

And like I said I am giving him 2 full years, taking over a gutted program isn‘t easy... I personally think he deserves 2 full year and he hasn’t even been there for 1 as of yet.

Exactly.

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How come none of the OU fans talked about a "rebuilding year" at the start of the season? Sure you lost a really good coach and seveal really good players but in the end you all were esctatic about Venebles and several of his assitance and then came the transfer portal players to OU. So much greatness came into Norman that the OU recruiting class was top 5 or so and OU was ranked #6 preseason.
You act as if OU or even its fans have a say in preseason rankings. In a nutshell a good amount of people were talking about a rebuilding year on the OU boards. (which I'm sure you follow lol) The recruiting class that everyone spoke of is the 2023 class. Yes everyone was excited about Venables and some of his assistants, kind of hard not to be in that situation.

That is not considered a rebuilding year no matter how much you wish it was.

That's a retarded statement, even for a poke fan. Irregardless of emotions or wishes....just shy of 50 players that were on last years roster aren't on this year's roster. Including some 5 stars. So I'd say by most definitions, that's a rebuilding year. No matter what you "heard" or "didn't hear."

Latest posts

Top Bottom