Red vs Green Lasers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The human eye's greatest sensitivity is to yellow and green light wave lengths. Much easier to see green than it is red. The red laser on my crimson trace grips is almost impossible to see during the day and is impossible much past 15 yards during the day. Limited usefullness except for dusk, night and dawn.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The human eye's greatest sensitivity is to yellow and green light wave lengths. Much easier to see green than it is red. The red laser on my crimson trace grips is almost impossible to see during the day and is impossible much past 15 yards during the day. Limited usefullness except for dusk, night and dawn.

Based on this info why would CT not offer their grips in green lasers then? Seems kinda stupid if it is known that the eye is most sensitive to green that they sell them in red. This applies to all laser mfg companies really. Is the green more expensive to mfg?

kalstrand

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Green is more expensive to manufacture because there is no such thing as a green laser diode. To get a green laser you have to modifiy another color. The extra step makes it more costly and use more power to get a green laser.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Based on this info why would CT not offer their grips in green lasers then? Seems kinda stupid if it is known that the eye is most sensitive to green that they sell them in red. This applies to all laser mfg companies really. Is the green more expensive to mfg?

Green is more expensive to manufacture because there is no such thing as a green laser diode. To get a green laser you have to modifiy another color. The extra step makes it more costly and use more power to get a green laser.

Last I heard Crimson Trace is now offering green lasers but they are about twice what their red offerings cost.

Crimson Trace: Understanding Green Lasers

FWIW: Based on what I know now and If I had it to do all over again I'd have saved my money and not bought CT's red laser sight for for my S&W M638. Why? Red laser is worthless during the day. Since stats show most defensive encounters occur at less than 10 yards and at that distance you can see fine at night except in cave dark conditions I don't see the need or advantage of having one. But then that's just me and my opinion. The CT's are still on my 638 (primarily because I can't find the original right side grip) and I make sure the thing still lights up at least once a week.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bushnell Trophy says "Red Dot for bright light switches to Green Dot for low light".

I think they got that backwards. Our eye cones are most sensitive to the green/cyan part of the spectrum, so logic suggests that for daytime we'd want something that would stand out the most. When the cones shut down and rods take over, rods are essentially blind to the red end of the spectrum and won't be "turned off" if they see red light. But cyanish light resets the rods. Of course any really bright light will reset the rods.

There's a headlamp on the market that has cyan colored LEDs instead of straight white ones and it boasts that it's better for our natural night vision, which is exactly opposite of the truth.

Basically green lasers are a lot easier to see at all distances and due to rayleigh scattering. the beam is more visible in the air than red lasers.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know. But, keep in mind, the Bushnell thing is a Red/Green Dot scope, not a laser. Maybe that's the difference.

Latest posts

Top Bottom