reload 380 or 32acp?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone reloads 380 or 32acp? Seems like the small cases would be a pain in the rear.

50GI Jess

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, they are !
Don't reload them anymore, but use the fastest burning powders available, since most 32 and 380's have short barrels, and usually straight blowback models.
Otherwise, the loads will not burn clean, with unburned powder getting into the action and magazine, and the fired casings turning almost black.
Use maximum listed loads, or most pocket pistols will shortstroke themselfes, and you'll experience both failure to feed and eject. Straight blowbacks are know for having strong recoils springs.
Some will have a slidelock function, and thats a good indicator to work with, when developing your loads.
Good luck, Jess

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to reload 32acp but I probably won't anymore.

I don't trust my meter to throw any powder with the accuracy needed for this small round and only feel safe when I weigh each and every round.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I reload 32 acp and .380 in small quantities just for the fun of it. I have a Lyman turret press set up with both sets of dies and weigh each load carefully. I've had good luck with Bullseye, but the range from low to max load is pretty small, so you've got to pay close attention. I use lead round nose for the 32's and Hornady XTP's for the 380's.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I will pick up some 32 acp dies at some point. Already load for 32 S&W Long and 32 H&R Mag. The really nutz part is that I'm in the market for some 25 acp dies. Just bought 250 rnds of brass off GB. Yes, I'm crazy.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Loading .380 with HP38 or Titegroup is like loading a 9mm short-which it is.
Usual nuisance of keeping .380 and 9mm Luger cases separate, and following the loading manual.
Oh yes, when putting bullets on the cases in the press, watch your fingers!

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have, but don't.

I recently picked up one of those little converters where you can shoot 32 out of a mosin.
I might load up a few hot ones for it some day, probably not many though.

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did 500 or so .380 for my dad (well, for my mom, but whatever) and I can say, loading 380 is a lot more annoying than loading 9mm.

Dimensionally, they're very similar, but the .380s are a much thinner, lighter case. I had a lot more crinkled cases with the .380 than I had ever seen with the 9mm.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I load 25acp, 32acp , 380 and a host of larger cases. You really have to be careful with the smaller cases not to pinch fingers in the loading process. I like Alliant Red Dot powder for the 25 and 32. Bullseye works well also, but my preference is the red dot. I seem to get more consistent performance with it in the small cases. I guess I've loaded about 3K rounds between 25 and 32 using red dot. I bought a large supply of jacketed bullets at one of the Wanamacher shows some years ago and still have enough 25 acp bullets to last me the rest of my life. Now if I could just find the cases for 25 and 32 acp.. Blitzfike

Latest posts

Top Bottom