Reloading .40 cal for Glock 23

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanwk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a newbie in the reloading world. I usually carry the Glock 23 (.40 cal) and would like to reload for it. I am hearing and reading that the 40 cal in a glock is not supported so not to use reloads. Is there a workaround? I know that if I want to use lead bullets I should change the barrel. Which barrel should I get? Hopefully I won't be looking for a different gun. I would appreciate your comments. Thanks.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have shot thousands and thousands of reloads through my Glock 23 and 24. Don't use lead bullets, keep over all length of the cartrige to around 1.130" I really like plated bullets like Extreem, Berry's, or Raineer in 165 or 180. Another bullet type you can look into are the moly plated bullets like Black Bullet International, or Precision bullets. Don't go over max powder loads listed for the weigth bullet you are using. and ENJOY! There is no reason to get a new barrel, or worry about the non-supported chamber unless you really want to use powder charges that are WAY hot! KurtM

I like 4.3 grains of WST and a 180 grain bullet for general shooting in my Glocks in .40

alanwk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot thousands and thousands of reloads through my Glock 23 and 24. Don't use lead bullets, keep over all length of the cartrige to around 1.130" I really like plated bullets like Extreem, Berry's, or Raineer in 165 or 180. Another bullet type you can look into are the moly plated bullets like Black Bullet International, or Precision bullets. Don't go over max powder loads listed for the weigth bullet you are using. and ENJOY! There is no reason to get a new barrel, or worry about the non-supported chamber unless you really want to use powder charges that are WAY hot! KurtM

I like 4.3 grains of WST and a 180 grain bullet for general shooting in my Glocks in .40
Thanks. Glad to hear that.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A word of caution about reloads.. The brass gets work hardened each time you resize it and that makes it more brittle. I have owned and shot several glocks, (I currently have and shoot a Glock 22.) I use the Lone Wolf barrels for mine, I have both the lone wolf .40 and .357 sig barrels for my 22. This lets me shoot many times fired and resized brass without worring about the unsupported feed ramp giving way. It also gives me two guns in one. The barrel is the only thing that has to be changed to go from .40 to .357 sig. Same mags and slide. Good luck and enjoy your shooting and reloading.. Blitzfike

patrick abdo

New to the site!
Reaction score
i`ve been shooting barrels from kkm precision in 9mm, 40, 10mm and 45acp. in all my glocks. i have a large stock of cci blazer 9mm,aluminum cased that i use in my stock glock barrel. i shoot lead because it is alot cheaper for my needs.

F16mickey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard of problems with reloading .40 glocks. but I believe that the guns at Tulsa firearms use mostly reloads and they rarely clean those guns so I doubt it would be a problem.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with blitzfike.It could become an issue,but as someone else said,keep your loads below factory or max.If you do that we have seen way less expansion in reloads.The original brass took a beating though.If your just plinkin,find a nice mild load and just make the action work.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Kurt, I have seen you give some really good advice on this website. I will have to respectfully disagree about shooting lead through Glocks. I shoot 300-400 or more weekly through a stock Glock 17 with ZERO leading.

If it gives a shooter peace of mind, a Lone Wolf barrel retails for $100 and will QUICKLY pay for itself with the savings of shooting lead over plated or jacketed bullets.

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your lead alloy is hard enough you can shoot it through a stock glock barrel, but it is not suggested. A Lone Wolf barrel only runs about $100.00 and will last you a lifetime of shooting. The only caliber I don't use it with is .357 sig b/c I don't reload with lead bullets for that round.

Latest posts

Top Bottom