Reloading 9mm: Question about projectile weight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've found that the 115gr stuff at 1.030 or just a touch shorter (works for 124gr bullets too) work great in my CZ pistols...1.135 seems to work for everything else. My powder of choice lately has been Titegroup for everything auto except 10mm.

Definitely more than one way to effectively skin the cat here. I think my only concern would be pushing a plated bullet too fast. Back before Rainier Bullets went under, Dad and several of his friends were in good with the owner...enough to be able to order directly from him at cost for whatever that's worth. Anyway, they were always quick to repeat to me to make sure I kept everything under 1,200 FPS.

i think I still have 13-14K Rainiers in the shop in various calibers. I really liked those. I've been buying Berry's the last couple years.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just as others have said, W231 will suit you just fine for 9mm. Just follow the published load data. I've run coated bullets from several companies, but just as others have also stated, I'm buying FMJ's from RMR Bullets at near or the same cost as I was buying coated and plated bullets from other vendors. RMR makes a great product, ships quickly, and offers discounts regularly. I mainly buy 124gr MPR's (their term for JHP's), or 124 TCFP's (they call Match Winners) for my general plinking, and I buy their 147gr JHP's or standard FMJ's for my subsonic rounds. They are worth looking into if you are wanting to find a jacketed bullet in the future.

As far as powder goes, I mainly use CFE-Pistol in my regular 9mm, but also have a stash of W231 in case things get tight. I finally got my hands on a jug of N320 that I'm now using for my subsonics.

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer 145-147gr in 9mm Luger for my pistols and carbines. However, I have always been a Heavy for caliber guy, so my opinion may be skewed. I’ve done an inordinate amount of gel testing on the 9mm and it’s various weights and manufacturers. Reality is, the best projectile you can load is the one you will actually practice with. So, if you find a steal of a deal (American reloading comes to mind) on JHP/HST/XTP/Vcrown for the price of factory new FMJ, Then pick a weight, buy a bunch, and practice with what you carry. If you can’t find a steal and want something to match your carry load, start with the same grain weight and see how the recoil, muzzle flip, and point of impact is compared to whatever you carry. You want to be sure that the “feel” of the shot mimics the same as your carry load. That way, lord willing, if you ever had the need to use your firearm in a situation, it would be muscle memory and your point of aim and point of impact is ingrained in your muscle memory. Just my .02

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate the information. I’m not looking to duplicate a carry load. I just need some good practice loads and if they are decently accurate then even better.

Last edited:

osu007

AKA: Fat Jack, Believer in God
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate the information. I’m not looking to duplicate a carry load. I just need some good practice loads and if they are decently accurate than even better.
I kind of had the same dilemma. I decided on 124/125 grn and never looked backed. I’m happy with my choice, but I shoot a 357 sig too, and a 38 super 124/125 grn works good for all 3. 9 mm, 38 super(in my future) , and 357 sig. really accurate and smoking in super and sig with standard loads..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate the information. I’m not looking to duplicate a carry load. I just need some good practice loads and if they are decently accurate then even better.
Don't go too low on the velocities. The bullet won't stabilize and will keyhole the target. Back when shooting competitions you could always tell the person shooting the loads that were loaded below competition rules with that telltale sign.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As to bullet weight, for target blasting either is fine and my weapons will send tj where they should go. American sometimes has mixed pulled 115/125 tmj or fmj, I usually sepArate them using the digital scale on my powder dispenser, or you can find some solid middle ground for both weight s and run them. Hell it’s blasting ammo, less thinking and tinkering more shooting. My .02, and when I buy wolf steel case, all that stuff is 115gt. And shoots great

Latest posts

Top Bottom