rem 870 vs. moss 500

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i've owned 2 different 870's in the past and had bad luck with both of them not cycling the rounds out of the magazine properly. now i have a mossberg 500 that i haven't put many rounds through yet but so far it's reliable. i'm looking for opinions on who likes which one best, and for what reasons. maybe i just have bad luck with remingtons the same way as i have bad luck with chevy's.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remington 870, it is the standard for police across the US and the people who need and use shotguns more than anyone else are police.

I'm not bashing the 870 because it's a great gun too. But I don't really buy into the "LEO's carry it, so it's the best" argument. By that logic Glocks also make the best handguns because lots of LEO's carry those too. And while there are a ton of people out there that love Glock, there are just as many that would debate that statement. A lot of cops have 870's and cops try to carry reliable equipment, so I think that's a good indicator that it's probably a quality gun but I'm not ready to call it "better" than a gun with the reputation of the 500.

I can't tell you if one is better than the other, because I have only ever owned the 500. But I can vouch for the Mossy's reliability. Mine was well used when I got it and it still runs like a top.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remington 870, USED TO BE the standard for police across the US and the people who need and use shotguns more than anyone else are police.

Fixed it for ya! :thumb:

Here's what I said in another related thread. ;)

Look at it thisaway...

The Mossberg 590 is like the Glock. It is sleeker, more tacticool looking, lighter in weight due to it's aluminum receiver and GTG right outta da box. It's a shotty that looks better slicked up in sythetic stocks and side saddles and such. It's controls are easier to find and easier to use. Newbies learn faster and are more proficient with a Mossberg.

The Remington 870 is like the 1911. A classic firearm and a solid performer, but kinda finicky and prone to jam up from time to time. It's been the "go to" scattergun for many a year, but it generally requires some add on accessories to make it more serviceable. Like the 1911, it looks more at home with wooden furniture and a leather sling over sythetic stocks and a nylon strap.

Just for the record, I carry a Mossberg 590 in the patrol car with me. It's not a department issue, it is my own personal scattergun. Having used a Remington 870 "Wingmaster" in the past, I chose the 590 over the 870. :respect:

SHOTGUN12

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While you don't mention how old your 870's were, I'll assume you bought them used (or abused), otherwise Remington should have taken care of any problems.

If you have reliability issues with a gun .... there shouldn't be a problem that can't be resolved, by a competent gunsmith.
So when it comes to making a choice, it should be more of a 'personal preference' issue than anything else, since both are proven designs, with excellent long term track records.

Years back I bought an 870 Wingmaster, and had outstanding luck with it from the day I bought it .... until the day it was stolen.
Anyway .... I hunted with it; shot clays; 'plinked' with buckshot, and whatever else, and it devoured any/and every round I shoved into it, and never had a problem.
Wanting to try something different, I replaced it with a 590. While the Mossy has been a good reliable gun, it just doesn't feel as 'right' to me as an 870 does.

PYPLYNR

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got 3 870s and never had a problem with any of them. One of them was my dad's and between him and I, there have been a lot of shells through it. Moss 500's just feel cheaply made when I hold them. Just my opinion

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an 870 that has never ever failed me. It's been my duck gun since I was 15.12 years of faithful service. Drug through the mud, dropped in Ft. Cobb, used as a boat paddle, etc. Never a hiccup. I'm about to buy another 870, this time a super mag.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remington's are OK in my book, but I prefer the Mossy for SD work.

I grew up with shotguns that had the safety up where you work it with your thumb. Nothing else feels right to me. Also, I can work it whether shooting right handed or left, and cannot do that with a Rem safety without a lot of fumbling around. I am right handed, but being able to shoot with my weak hand is something I work at with both pistols and long guns.

jej

Latest posts

Top Bottom