rem 870 vs. moss 500

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think Mossberg is probably the better weapon preformance wise. Not because I like it but the millitaty (the US NAVY) replaced all of the wonderful old 870s that we had and replaced them with Mossbergs. The millitary has certain requirements that have to be passed and I guess that the old girl just didnt keep up to the modern day standars. This is just my speculations, I have no data to back this other than what Ive seen and my limited military experiance

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally I think its more about the user than the gun. If the gun is having issues a good gun smith can usually fix it right up.

My choice is the mossy 500/590 because of where the safety and slide release are located. I never have liked how the rems are laid out so i have the mossy 500 and im still looking for a 590A1 or 590SP

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
(the US NAVY) replaced all of the wonderful old 870s that we had and replaced them with Mossbergs.

You have heard of the concept of lowest bidder haven't you?:D

Both of my boats had a mix of 870s and 500s in the small arms lockers. They were regularly used for qualfication shoots. Never saw one fail.

I have 2 870s in my safe, my dad's early '60s Wingmaster (looks almost new) and my 870 Express. Never had a problem with either of them.

my personal opinion is that when it comes right down to the nitty gritty there isn't enough difference for it to matter. Slight difference in control layout but that's about it. After that it comes down to personal choice.

Big50

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i've owned 2 different 870's in the past and had bad luck with both of them not cycling the rounds out of the magazine properly. now i have a mossberg 500 that i haven't put many rounds through yet but so far it's reliable. i'm looking for opinions on who likes which one best, and for what reasons. maybe i just have bad luck with remingtons the same way as i have bad luck with chevy's.

I bought 5 870 Wingmasters in 1980 for $180 from K-Mart. I passed the savings on to four of my friends and we have never had a problem. May be the older ones are built better??

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are right handed, you might try out the Mossberg Maverick 88. Pretty much the same as the 500 but with a safety on the trigger guard. $169 everyday from Academy. I had no problems with mine. Sold it because I bought a semi-auto.

Latest posts

Top Bottom