Remington 1100 vs. 1187

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't had a semi in years (had a Beretta--sold it because years ago I was far too busy working) and thinking about getting another for birds, mainly dove. Will probably shoot only 2 3/4" shells, 12 GA most if not all of the time.
I, being smaller, want a 26" length barrel. What are your opinions on the two Remingtons.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both.
The 11-87 is heavier and handles the 3" magnum very well for turkey. I don't carry an 11-87 for upland hunting; it is a gun for a strong young man who does not mind the weight.
Out of the different barrels, I much prefer a 26" with Remchokes--ivory front bead and metal middle bead.

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 1100 is gas operated so you have to keep the has ports and sliding surfaces clean and good seals. The 1187 is recoil operated so the springs and works being metal make it a little heavier. Both are very reliable when propery maintained. That is my understanding of it anyway. I bought an 1100 back in 1987 and have never had a problem with it.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought an 11-87 earlier this year and have shot a couple of rounds of skeet with it. Also tested slugs and 00 buckshot out of it and could not be more pleased. The action fed and ejected all types of ammo smoothly and reliably. I consider it an upgrade from the REM 1100 shotgun. I thought I read years ago that the 1100 was being phased out, but I've seen them advertised recently. I traded in an old 1100 to buy this 11-87 and only got $200.00 trade value. I was glad to get rid of it and get my 11-87. The cautions about the weight of 11-87 may be valid, but I have'nt noticed it. Also have'nt humped it around all day, either. When my arms get tired I set the butt on the ground and rest.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 1100 is gas operated so you have to keep the has ports and sliding surfaces clean and good seals. The 1187 is recoil operated so the springs and works being metal make it a little heavier. Both are very reliable when propery maintained. That is my understanding of it anyway. I bought an 1100 back in 1987 and have never had a problem with it.

I have both....and they're both gas operated. :screwy:

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just want to thank you members for your input. The Beretta (AL1, and lightweight) I had years ago was great and kick myself to this day for selling it, but in my younger years and many hours of work limited any hunting at all so you know how that goes. Now in the last years I have the time and this is the first season I have earnestly hunted dove. I know, too much talk, but then again I am an ol' coot. I just might pick up that 26" 1187 I was drooling over yesterday at an unknown location. Ya'll have a great evening.
Lone Wolf

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot both the Rem 1100 and 1187 but sold the 1187 several yeras ago so cannot give a direct comparison. As I remeber, the 1187 had a slimmer profile barrel and may be a bit lighter. My older 1100 has the older barrels without choke tubes. Both guns performed well but I did expereince some feeding issues with reloaded RXP 12 ga. ammo. With reloads in Win AA cases both guns performed flawlessly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom