Remington 700 ADL with Remington 165 Accutip ammunition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have question on this set up that I hunt with and have for years. I bought a bunch of this factory ammo over the years and have about 8 boxes, so I am kind of stuck with it for a while. I know I could switch brands but want that to be the last option if possible.

My question is, I have noticed that more times than not, when I shoot a deer it never drops. It does die but I would estimate 90% of the time they run at least 50-75 yards before they expire. It always leaves a good blood trail so I don't lose deer, I just think it is not typical or what I should expect for the $$ I paid for the ammo. This happened twice this year and I don't understand why. Both kill zone shots, so I am not missing.

Other set ups from black powder to other guns/ammo I usually have the deer fall or go no further than a few feet.

Any thoughts on this factory ammo? My expectations too high? I am curious as to what everyone thinks.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Death comes from a hit on the Central Nervous system or the loss of blood to the brain. With the heart or lungs completely destroyed, it may take a second for the deer to die from massive blood loss. In that one or two seconds, you're getting that 40 yard run before it expires. That is typical performance from any hunting bullet.
What do the internals look like when you field dress? Everything turned to mush or is it just a pencil hole through the body?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Are you shooting a 30-06 or 308? Not that it really matters. If I want the animal to drop on the spot, high shoulder every time, every buck I shoot that's going on the wall gets shot there. Does get shot just in front of the shoulder actually. Front shoulder is still edible and makes for a clean quartering/butchering job.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, I see in your thread title - and I agree, you are doing fine. I have never dropped one dead in its tracks, they don't make it far, but not DRT (Dead Right Thar) and that is with a .308 bullet 150 gr. Now my grandson just shot his first one this year, a small 6 point, with a 6.8 SPC 115 gr and that dude did not even thing about taking a step it just fell over and shook its front leg in the air for just about 10 seconds and he was done all the way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom