Remington 700 ADL with Remington 165 Accutip ammunition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have found that (and others may disagree, from my own experience) that the higher velocity hunting bullets especially polymer tipped or hollow points tend to explode on impact. And at closer ranges they tend to pencil in and pencil out failing to expand. Results are a failure to transfer kinetic energy for that knockdown kill unless it is a shoulder shot as mentioned previous. Now take same bullet and slow it down 800 fps and it will transfer that kinetic energy and produce knockdown kills. I used to deer hunt with a .308 velocity at 25 to 2600fps and what you described was the results I had. Built a 300 BO shooting deer with same 168grn bullet at 1700 fps produced one shot kills repeatedly. Had one deer go 10 yds all the rest dropped in their tracks. Velocity sells and is great for trajectory on those longer shots but is not always the correct application. Bullets expansion and energy transfer is key to your problem.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
L
I have found that (and others may disagree, from my own experience) that the higher velocity hunting bullets especially polymer tipped or hollow points tend to explode on impact. And at closer ranges they tend to pencil in and pencil out failing to expand. Results are a failure to transfer kinetic energy for that knockdown kill unless it is a shoulder shot as mentioned previous. Now take same bullet and slow it down 800 fps and it will transfer that kinetic energy and produce knockdown kills. I used to deer hunt with a .308 velocity at 25 to 2600fps and what you described was the results I had. Built a 300 BO shooting deer with same 168grn bullet at 1700 fps produced one shot kills repeatedly. Had one deer go 10 yds all the rest dropped in their tracks. Velocity sells and is great for trajectory on those longer shots but is not always the correct application. Bullets expansion and energy transfer is key to your problem.
Yes sir!

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s strange because I’ve used hollow point Berger bullets exclusively for over ten years now and have only had one animal not DTR when shot. I’ve shot hogs, deer, and antelope anywhere from 15 to 712 yards with either a 168 or 180 grain bullet traveling between 2900 - 3050fps. Bullet placement is where the money is and it’s not behind the shoulder.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s strange because I’ve used hollow point Berger bullets exclusively for over ten years now and have only had one animal not DTR when shot. I’ve shot hogs, deer, and antelope anywhere from 15 to 712 yards with either a 168 or 180 grain bullet traveling between 2900 - 3050fps. Bullet placement is where the money is and it’s not behind the shoulder.
I said some may disagree, and said unless a shoulder shot as previously mentioned. But going off of the OP and the bullet he used and his shot placement with those type bullets is my experience. I hunt meat and try to destroy as little as possible and still get knockdown kills. Yes shot placement is key as is bullet construction, velocity and kinetic energy. Change any of the 3 or combination of the 3 and you can get different results to fit a specific application is all I was implying.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I said some may disagree, and said unless a shoulder shot as previously mentioned. But going off of the OP and the bullet he used and his shot placement with those type bullets is my experience. I hunt meat and try to destroy as little as possible and still get knockdown kills. Yes shot placement is key as is bullet construction, velocity and kinetic energy. Change any of the 3 or combination of the 3 and you can get different results to fit a specific application is all I was implying.
What you are saying sounds interesting and makes sense. Do you have any suggestions for factory ammo that meet these criteria?

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What you are saying sounds interesting and makes sense. Do you have any suggestions for factory ammo that meet these criteria?
I haven't bought factory rifle ammo in a couple of decades, always load my own. The problem today is manufacturer's have pushed velocity to sell. I can't honestly give you a factory ammo that I know will do the task anymore. Remington Core Lok soft point comes to mind, not polymer tipped again changed for velocity. It was a good hunting bullet but as powder and bullet coefficiency has evolved that to changed alot of the older tried and true hunting bullets.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have question on this set up that I hunt with and have for years. I bought a bunch of this factory ammo over the years and have about 8 boxes, so I am kind of stuck with it for a while. I know I could switch brands but want that to be the last option if possible.

My question is, I have noticed that more times than not, when I shoot a deer it never drops. It does die but I would estimate 90% of the time they run at least 50-75 yards before they expire. It always leaves a good blood trail so I don't lose deer, I just think it is not typical or what I should expect for the $$ I paid for the ammo. This happened twice this year and I don't understand why. Both kill zone shots, so I am not missing.

Other set ups from black powder to other guns/ammo I usually have the deer fall or go no further than a few feet.

Any thoughts on this factory ammo? My expectations too high? I am curious as to what everyone thinks.
Your factory load your using is fine with the 30-06. If your not losing deer and they go 75 yds when hit your doing it just right. Keep shooting them and one will drop right on the spot. Just some of my experience with deer hunting. Bullet construction mostly plays in with bad shot placement, bad shots and near misses. Dropped deer with good shots, near misses, lucky shots, bad and good bullet construction, etc. Had deer run just a few yards to more than a day. Learned to lay claim that any deer that gets away was a bad shot. Any deer that is recovered in time to eat is a deer on the table. Shot them with 222 Rem, 223 Rem, 22-250, 243 Win, 240 Wby, 7mm-08, 7 Rem Mag, 30-30, 30-06, 300 Wby, 41 Mag, Blackpowder 44 pistol bullets, maxi-balls and 12 ga slugs. Sometimes bullets that come apart is what kills quickly and sometimes bullets that can go through a shoulder then make the vitals and out the hind quarter does. Good shot placement is most important. Dont get caught up in the DROPPED IN ITS TRACKS hoopla.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your factory load your using is fine with the 30-06. If your not losing deer and they go 75 yds when hit your doing it just right. Keep shooting them and one will drop right on the spot. Just some of my experience with deer hunting. Bullet construction mostly plays in with bad shot placement, bad shots and near misses. Dropped deer with good shots, near misses, lucky shots, bad and good bullet construction, etc. Had deer run just a few yards to more than a day. Learned to lay claim that any deer that gets away was a bad shot. Any deer that is recovered in time to eat is a deer on the table. Shot them with 222 Rem, 223 Rem, 22-250, 243 Win, 240 Wby, 7mm-08, 7 Rem Mag, 30-30, 30-06, 300 Wby, 41 Mag, Blackpowder 44 pistol bullets, maxi-balls and 12 ga slugs. Sometimes bullets that come apart is what kills quickly and sometimes bullets that can go through a shoulder then make the vitals and out the hind quarter does. Good shot placement is most important. Dont get caught up in the DROPPED IN ITS TRACKS hoopla.
What bullet were you using in the triple deuce? My uncle left me his when he passed away

Latest posts

Top Bottom