Remington 798/799

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I got my CDNN flyer, and they're advertising model 798s and 799s at some ridiculously low prices. Like a .308 synthetic stock for $329 ridiculous.

I realize the 798s are military pattern Mauser 98s made at Zastava in Serbia, but I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any particular reasons to avoid a rifle like this? I must admit I'm intrigued by the standard Mauser 98 action, ,and apparently Remington takes the barreled actions and beds them in their own stocks.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ok, I got my CDNN flyer, and they're advertising model 798s and 799s at some ridiculously low prices. Like a .308 synthetic stock for $329 ridiculous.

I realize the 798s are military pattern Mauser 98s made at Zastava in Serbia, but I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any particular reasons to avoid a rifle like this? I must admit I'm intrigued by the standard Mauser 98 action, ,and apparently Remington takes the barreled actions and beds them in their own stocks.

Commercial Mausers. Military have a clip charger guide and a thumb cut for using a stripper clip. Don't know how much 'bedding' Remington could do in that $7.50 synthetic stock they use. Action would be an OK basis for a custom hunting rifle. All aftermarket parts for the Mauser '98 are compatible with this action. Same action was imported first by Interarms as the MK10 then by Charles Daly.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Commercial Mausers. Military have a clip charger guide and a thumb cut for using a stripper clip. Don't know how much 'bedding' Remington could do in that $7.50 synthetic stock they use. Action would be an OK basis for a custom hunting rifle.

Yes...my mistake. No cool 3 position safety. :) What you said about dropping the base stock and using the action for a new build is a great idea. Anything really wrong with the Serb barrels?

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 799s I've seen have a really nice laminate wood stock. The short-action caliber rifles have a compact 20" barrel. These are really neat little rigs. I'd be all over a 22-250 in one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom