Remington ACR pricing announced

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man you guys draw "chrome lining" like it is "Excaliber" or something. A non chrome barrle will usually give acceptable acuracy for 10-15,000 rounds in an AR...no we aren't talking benchrest accuracy, but the type of accuracy found in a Chromed bore. A chromed bore will usually go around 18-22,000. NOW COME ON GUYS!! Do you shoot that much??? I do and it is because I got folks that give me ammo, and I have found that no matter what a barrel is a consumable....They are real easy to change and don't cost much. What is the B.F.D.? Buy yourself 15,000 rounds of the same lot of ammo and then when that is gone get another 15,000 and a new barrel....Come on!!!

I think the point is that with that price, the barrel should be gold-lined. That's a lot of money and a lot of waiting not to be a premium rifle by all standards.

The 1/9 twist thing doesn't bother me as much - I'd love to have seen a 1/8 twist even, but if a barrel is high enough quality, has a good bore and is made right, 1/9 does just fine with some of the 69 and 75gr rounds - I wouldn't go above that necessarily, but whatever.

Words cannot describe how over hyped this rifle was for damn near 3 years and they put out an over-priced weapon lacking several fundamental qualities of a weapon worthy of winning .gov contracts?

That sucks the big one. I'll continue to buy Magpul's stuff, but I'm actually disappointed in Remington/Bushmaster/whoever just bought all those gun companies, enough to buy elsewhere if I can.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man you guys draw "chrome lining" like it is "Excaliber" or something. A non chrome barrle will usually give acceptable acuracy for 10-15,000 rounds in an AR...no we aren't talking benchrest accuracy, but the type of accuracy found in a Chromed bore. A chromed bore will usually go around 18-22,000. NOW COME ON GUYS!! Do you shoot that much??? I do and it is because I got folks that give me ammo, and I have found that no matter what a barrel is a consumable....They are real easy to change and don't cost much. What is the B.F.D.? Buy yourself 15,000 rounds of the same lot of ammo and then when that is gone get another 15,000 and a new barrel....Come on!!!

Yeah, but what about the 8.2 pounds Mr. J.P. LMOS man? :D

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe you have me a a disadvantage sir. ( said in a Southern Colonel. voice) I admit I am a bit slow today sooo 8.2# what?

If you mean J.P. barrels...yes they are consumable, If you mean the aluminum carrier...consumable...The SS lightened ones haven't had that problem yet and that is why John only offers the SS lightened on the general market these days. The Aluminum ones can still be got, you just got to know a guy!

As an aside the U.S. Army A.M.U. had one J.P. barrel go 25,000 rounds and still be 1 M.O.A.. It had a stress crack from the chamber to the gas port, and no rifling in the first 5 " of barrel, but this is an anomaly. not the norm!

If we are talking about rifle weight, my J.P. match rifle weighs just 7.9 pounds with sling ready to shoot, and no it doesn't have an optic on it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll bet your 7.9# J.P. rifle has an 18" tube too. I was referring to the ACR's total weight of 8.2 pounds. That's the quoted weight for a 16.5" version w/o sling or attachments.

As for the chrome lining bit, this is touted as a "combat" rifle. The barrel longevity isn't nearly as important as the ability to coninue functioning when dirty and poorly maintained in a combat environment. There's a reason that the mil-spec std. calls for chrome lining.

This may be less of an issue witha piston driven gun than a D.I. gun. But chrome lining adds a step and cost to a barrel. To expect people to pay nearly 3K for a "combat" rifle and not bother to chrome line the barrel is pretty unforgivable.

But hey, this is Bushmaster we're talking about. :)

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only a "Kansas City Star" would use an 18" barrel...nope!!! 20" for me I only own one short barrel and that is a 16" .308 upper and even that is for sale. Hell I even shoot a 6" pistol in competition, so you KNOW I am compensating for something!

I guess after the Military found out that you really do need to clean an AR Chrome lining became less of a point...but I see where you are coming from.

BTW got to play with an ARC a while back at the AMU, full auto, suppressed, and it was OK but I wasn't that impressed with it's ergonomics, and it seemed a little flimsy...but thats just me. It did jam several times, and it seemed to be a bit harder to clear than an AR, but then again I am used to ARs.

acpjosh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Non reciprocating charging handle, that is one thing the scars do not have. As for rails.. why do you need four, four looks cooler, but what practical use do you have for so many? I do agree that it is heavy, and barrel neads to chrome lined or SS, but I wouldnt knock it yet, give them a year to get some market feedback. Anyway, for that price I would get a soccom 16.