Remote start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonewatie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not have a heater in my 57 chevy.
I did in August but pulled it to make room for the AC system.
I drove my old Nova for many years without a heater.
But it had a cowl hood scoop that would de ice the windshield.

I will stick a heater core under the dash I bet before winter is over.
There was a company a couple years ago working on a retrofit heat pump system for old classics. Was basically a valve/switching system that you installed in the ac lines. All it does is turn the evap into a cond and the cond into an evap

Sent from my WIENER using Tapatalk

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All I need is defrost for icy or fogged windshield ..Yea rain X anti fog just does so good.

I have an expansion valve ac system and reversing the flow through it will not work as I understand. they do not flow well backwards if at all. i could be wrong.
It is pretty easy to add a heater core.
There is also a spot under the middle of the dash that has vents that go right to the windshield .
I have the fan already in the car just need to move one of the ac vent hoses to the heater core.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, lock me up and feed me bologna sandwiches. I’m guilty
Me too, use the remote start when I take the dog with me and run into a store to keep the AC on. The doors get locked and without a key the truck isn't going anywhere.

Not sure about a standard transmission, I added remote start to my 2010 Silverado that uses the existing key fob, hit the lock button three times and it starts. Also understand Chevy trucks with a certain option can just be programmed for a new key fob without adding any hardware. My truck didn't have the option so had to buy an aftermarket remote start kit. Got it off Amazon, plug and play for about $150.00.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of the newer cars it can be added as a module from dealer with a new keyfob. Its a dealer installed option if its not sent from factory that way.

Lonewatie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I need is defrost for icy or fogged windshield ..Yea rain X anti fog just does so good.

I have an expansion valve ac system and reversing the flow through it will not work as I understand. they do not flow well backwards if at all. i could be wrong.
It is pretty easy to add a heater core.
There is also a spot under the middle of the dash that has vents that go right to the windshield .
I have the fan already in the car just need to move one of the ac vent hoses to the heater core.
The system im talking about replaces the xv with a valving block that handles everything.

Sent from my WIENER using Tapatalk

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is nothing more "heart warming" than on a very cold morning being half awake and sliding across a cold vinyl seat and grabbing a cold steering wheel before the key is insured. Then getting out and scraping the frost off of the windshield. It's the American way, the way we "Do things in this. country." (I heard that somewhere in the past and it sounded good at the time)

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is nothing more "heart warming" than on a very cold morning being half awake and sliding across a cold vinyl seat and grabbing a cold steering wheel before the key is insured. Then getting out and scraping the frost off of the windshield. It's the American way, the way we "Do things in this. country." (I heard that somewhere in the past and it sounded good at the time)

Had enough of that mess before I could afford something with creature comforts, now I wouldn't have a car without remote start.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, somebody will install remote start in cars with a standard transmission (screw you, millennial snowflakes). My brother-in-law picked up a car for a buddy; I don't remember if he knew beforehand or not, but he sure knew that it had one after it got triggered and drove the car over an embankment while he was staying in a hotel on the trip to deliver it...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just get heated seats. They can work better/faster than a heater core anyway. That’s why the Teslas and Leafs use them (that and no coolant LOL)

But seriously I’d consider looking at adding them. You could leave the AC and still have the butt warmers for winter.

What did the VW beetles use back in the day? They were air cooled, no heated seat.
Didn't they use a heat exchanger of some sort that was heated up by the exhaust manifold or something? It's been so long I don't remember.

Latest posts

Top Bottom