Remote start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonewatie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are there remote starts for vehicles that use a key fob and doesn't require a key. Earlier posts said a key inserted was needed before the shift lever could be moved from the park position.
They have to be programmed through the body control module, it basically just adds a factory remote start function. I'm sure there are some makes that dont allow for that option but there is no wiring to be done in those cases.

Sent from my WIENER using Tapatalk

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are there remote starts for vehicles that use a key fob and doesn't require a key. Earlier posts said a key inserted was needed before the shift lever could be moved from the park position.

Yes. My jeep is like this. When you enter the (running) vehicle, it senses the proximity fob and you just tap the start button (rather than inserting a key and turning the ignition to on).

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes. My mom's '17 Ford Flex has the factory keyless ignition and remote start. If you use the remote start button to start the engine, the rest of the car is "off" until you step on the brake and push the start button on the dash. Without that fob in the car, the dash stays off and you can't shift out of park.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yup, my Z requires a fob but not a key. Just has to be in the passenger compartment. And usually when you step on the brake if the key isn't in the ignition (or the fob isn't detected inside the car in my case), the auto-start shuts down.

I'm telling you, I love it... remote start with 2-way paging alarm is probably the first mod I will make on any vehicle I buy, as it has been for my last 4, I think. And on the truck, I installed a cellular remote start, so I can start it from anywhere in the world, as long as I have internet connection for my phone, and the truck is in range of a cell tower. Comes in handy when vacationing - I can start the truck sitting in the airport parking lot when my plane touches down in Tulsa, or if I'm going to be gone a few weeks, like when we go to St. Vincent to see The Wife's family, I can start it once a week, it'll run 30 minutes and shut down - keeps the battery (batteries, actually) in good shape.

Started the truck this morning when I came out to get my coffee made up, when I came outside to head to work, it was already warmed up. Very nice on mornings like this!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of odd laws and many are not fully enforced.
I have heard of a person that was ticketed when they called 911 to report their car was stolen.
Seems they left in running unattended in the driveway.
I think it was on Facebook for our housing addition wife is on facebook. Not me.

I talked with code enforcement for OKC and she told me a bunch of odd rules that are not enforced.
Can't work on a vehicle in your driveway.
Can't park an enclosed trailer on your non commercial property.
Can't park past the last expansion joint or last 10 or15 feet of your driveway.. that is city right of way.
She said that one is not enforced.
You can park in the street out front of your house in a housing addition.

I was working on a Ford truck installing a clutch release bearing Hydraulic type.
It was for a handicapped lady and i was not making any money on it.
Code enforcement came to my yard and said it was illegal to work on a vehicle in the driveway.
I said well you will need to write me up because this truck is not moving off the jack stands until i get it finished.
Told her the story.. wife volunteered me to fix it.
She said she was not going to write me a ticket and we began talking of odd rules.

If you park even 1" of your tire on the grass off your driveway you can be ticketed for parking on the grass.
welcome to OKC.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not have a heater in my 57 chevy.
I did in August but pulled it to make room for the AC system.
I drove my old Nova for many years without a heater.
But it had a cowl hood scoop that would de ice the windshield.

I will stick a heater core under the dash I bet before winter is over.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not have a heater in my 57 chevy.
I did in August but pulled it to make room for the AC system.
I drove my old Nova for many years without a heater.
But it had a cowl hood scoop that would de ice the windshield.

I will stick a heater core under the dash I bet before winter is over.

Just get heated seats. They can work better/faster than a heater core anyway. That’s why the Teslas and Leafs use them (that and no coolant LOL)

But seriously I’d consider looking at adding them. You could leave the AC and still have the butt warmers for winter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom