Report: Thousands Of Suspects In Baltimore Arrests Required Medical Attention

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So you don't agree that there is a problem in law enforcement?

In any typical workplace one will find typical “problems” stemming from training issues to “problems” from poor performance (as in making chronic mistakes). Law enforcement is no different.

If (and judging by the rest of your post) you are trying to say that there is a systemic problem in law enforcement I would disagree since the statistics simply do not rationalize such a shrill analysis.

Break a guy's neck in Baltimore …

Either I missed the trial or you have crystal balls.

In all reality, law enforcement is due a major flaming, probably to the point of burning it down and rebuilding.

If one wants to metaphorically “flame” law enforcement officials to demonstrate that they do not have the capacity to understand the statistical relevance to the number of “problems” there are, that’s their right to do so in a public forum.

If one wants to “burn it down” in memory of such geniuses and civic icons as Rodney King, Michael Brown, Antonio Martin, Freddie Gray or whoever their ass clown du jour is, they are certainly free to play that Darwin Card.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The increase in violence that has followed the death of Freddie Gray continued through the weekend, with four homicides reported since Saturday, according to Baltimore police.

Ten people were reported shot on Sunday alone, including three who were shot to death within a span of 39 minutes. The violence comes as the city prepares for the Preakness on Saturday at Pimlico Race Course.

Ten people were also shot Thursday.

At least 87 people have been killed in Baltimore this year, 22 more than at this time last year. Nonfatal shootings are up nearly 50 percent across the city.

The most recent homicide came Monday afternoon. Police said a man was shot in the head in the 3400 block of Clifton Ave. in Southwest Baltimore.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...md-ci-shootings-homicides-20150511-story.html

Perhaps if the people in Baltimore acted a little more civil, the cops wouldn't be on high alert all the time? When your in a war zone, you tend to be aggressive.
If your patrolling Nichols Hills, your a little more relaxed.

Not saying crime doesn't happen in Nichols Hills, but its just an example.

BTW, I thought the arrest of the 6 cops was supposed to stop the violence?

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If (and judging by the rest of your post) you are trying to say that there is a systemic problem in law enforcement I would disagree since the statistics simply do not rationalize such a shrill analysis.
How does the fact that the statistics are largely generated by the specimens being investigated color the analysis?

"Well, Mr. Prosecutor, I know you're accusing me of assault and armed robbery, but I investigated myself, and I've determined that nothing improper happened."

Do you think that might just tend to reduce the apparent rate of malfeasance? Moreover, even if the investigation is conducted impartially, do you think the special privileges extended (like, say, a ten-day wait before questioning, and the right to review all evidence before questioning--rights that are not extended to us mere mortals) might tend to reduce the apparent rate? Or do you not think critically about claims made and data proffered (regardless of the source)?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the special privileges extended (like, say, a ten-day wait before questioning, and the right to review all evidence before questioning--rights that are not extended to us mere mortals)

I've stated before that I don't agree with cops involved in shootings be allowed to wait before giving a statement and being interviewed. It should be the same for citizen and LEO.

I suspect FOP contract rules?

I don't think OK is 10 days. Isn't it 48 hrs?

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You do have the same right.. it's called the 5th amendment. Ask for your attorney and keep quiet till he/she arrives.
Most agencies require an officer to give enough info that to accurately begin processing the scene. The formal detailed statement comes later. Usually 24 hours. Longest I've heard of is "within 72 hours".
I see no reason your average Joe shouldn't do the same. Give a brief account and wait for a lawyer.

Worse case scenario, there are poor witnesses and you spend an evening in jail. but the physical evidence will back up your statement and things will clear up rapidly.

Nothing screams poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You do have the same right.. it's called the 5th amendment. Ask for your attorney and keep quiet till he/she arrives.
Most agencies require an officer to give enough info that to accurately begin processing the scene. The formal detailed statement comes later. Usually 24 hours. Longest I've heard of is "within 72 hours".
I see no reason your average Joe shouldn't do the same. Give a brief account and wait for a lawyer.

Worse case scenario, there are poor witnesses and you spend an evening in jail. but the physical evidence will back up your statement and things will clear up rapidly.

Shouldn't the cop wait in jail as well? That is the issue.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the special privileges extended (like, say, a ten-day wait before questioning, and the right to review all evidence before questioning--rights that are not extended to us mere mortals)

I've stated before that I don't agree with cops involved in shootings be allowed to wait before giving a statement and being interviewed. It should be the same for citizen and LEO.

I suspect FOP contract rules?

I don't think OK is 10 days. Isn't it 48 hrs?

Actually, I was referring to Maryland, and it's not contract rules, it's statute. Ten days, and the right to review all evidence (such as videos) before giving that statement.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the situation.. if the physical evidence warrants it then yes. Same as for your average joe.
I've been on scene at several self defense homocides, only one involved a gun. But nobody got booked till the facts were in.
I honestly can't think of any recent cases in Oklahoma where they had to let someone out of jail after a self defense shooting.
The pharmacist got arrested later, was released at the scene.
There were a couple of others just can't recall exact details, but they claimed self defense and weren't booked. Can't say if they talked or lawyered up

Latest posts

Top Bottom