Republican National Convention SHAM!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of Mons Meg's post in post #48. There is an advantage to being able to move to where people are more like minded.

I was just trying to illustrate my personal notions of "practical" libertarianism. Economic freedom is non-severable from personal freedom. You're free, or you're not. Economic laws of scarcity are not repealed by government action, and all that.

Another thought: I'll still stay registered R for the time being, because it matters a great deal LOCALLY. It's human nature, but too many folks are still blissfully unaware of the shenanigans going on at City Council, or their local Boards, or County Commissions, e.g. the petty tyrannies like city "use fees" which are really unapproved taxes in disguise. If we're going to bring the country back towards liberty being the *default* rather than the exception, we have to "think nationally, act locally" a lot more than we do. So I soldier on, finding like-minded individuals in Logan County who are interested in actual accountability, and you know what? The past few years have seen a marked improvement in local county officers. And, I hardly need to mention Jason Murphey, who is about as good a State Rep as I could have hoped for, and the first candidate for any office for whom I have actually volunteered my time and effort.

Now I don't want to turn this into some sort of impassioned speech, but if more people expended the same energy locally that they do on national elections, you might not feel so much like the game is rigged. Just a thought.

(cue Battle Hymn of the Republic in background)

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just the opposite. If every state abides by the same laws, where’s the freedom in that? Allowing states to have at least some leeway in writing their own laws, it allows people to freely move to states that better support their views and beliefs.

honestly i just didnt convey my thoughts clearly. I understand the idea of states rights. I hold the opinion that individual rights trump states right. For example, the right to bear arms and the states right to have a militia. The feds have assimilated our militias, in a round about way, but cannot assimilate our individual right to bear arms.

Where im going with this is, as long as the Fed Govt can grant "sovernty" to individual states, the Fed Gov will determine what States Rights are. To me Rights either exist as something inherent to us as citizens, across all 50 states eqaully or the thing we claim as States Rights are actually not inherent and can be modified.

IMO one cannot experience freedom unless any and all individual rights can be universally excercized across the entire US. We are US citizens first, state citizens second.

Dunno if that helps but its as good as i care to do on a forum,lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom