Resident Aliens and Lawful Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right now, Resident Aliens (those with green cards) can legally buy firearms, so long as they have no firearms disability. (felon, mentally ill)

However, Oklahoma requires people to be 1)residents of Oklahoma, and 2) United States Citizens to obtain a SDA license. (formerly Concealed Weapons License)

Some other states allow resident aliens to get a concealed carry license. Arizona and Virginia are two that I know of.

Should our legislature change this? I keep thinking that some resident alien from Canada or England or something would file suit against the state, but it hasn't happened.

Discussion?

oklaccer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as they are legal residents, there should be a way for them to protect themselves. Of course, it could be a slippery slope, allowing legal aliens, then the illegals will want the same protections. Where is the line drawn?

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No slippery slope. Change one line in TITLE 21 § 1290.9 from "Be a citizen of the United States" to "Be a citizen of the United States or a resident alien lawfully authorized to live and work in the United States"

Oklahoma residency is already listed as a requirement.

Problem solved.

Have Blue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really, the question is not so much can it be done, more like should it be done?

I don't recall the Second Amendment citing citizenship as a requirement. If they are in this country legally I don't see a problem. If fact I would say that according to the Constitution, it's their right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom