Residential Heat and Air question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AC yes, it's probably a 10 seer. The minimum is 14 now. It's a ratio of the dollars spent vs. the amount of cooling you get for the dollar. A 14 is about 40% more efficient. There is a lot higher seer that can be had. The furnaces is probably an 80% which is still the base efficiency. You can get a 95% which mean you lose 5 cents on the dollar vs 20 cents out the vent for every dollar of gas you buy, if that makes sense.

You're welcome to PM your number if you want to talk. I'm a Contractor.

Windows and insulation is a good bang for the buck. Made a huge difference in my bills and comfort in my 1949 house. I have a foot of insulation in the attic and did the walls when I was remodeling.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fixing window leaks, making sure your doors are well sealed when closed, looking for air leaks around can lights, etc., can make a big difference as well.

One house we had that was built in the early seventies had air leaks all around the sill. We had removed the base boards in one room for some new flooring and it was appalling how much daylight was coming through gaps between the sill plate and the stem wall. That prompted us to remove all the base boards. It took about a case and a half of the calking compound to seal around the sill. No more cold feet!

Woody

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I had my roof replaced the last time, I had a solar attic fan installed. It made a big difference in the attic temps during the summer, is quiet, and does not use any electricity except what is free from the solar panel. I was so pleased I put a solar gable fan on my shop building.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Summer heat will give us about a 200.00 a month electric bill on a 900 sqft house...and we set it around 73 or 74.. so I imagine the new windows will be a huge help.
My house is 1100sqft. I replaced the original 1975 unit in Feb 2014. I would average around $200 per month pretty consistent. Now I probably average closer to $120 per month. It's usually less but the 2-3 months when it was coldest last winter it jumped enough to average $120 for the entire year. I get several months during the year it's below $100. I bought a heat pump and running the emergency heat really raised the bill. My house needs more insulation. For December, my bill was $133 and that was the highest since last March. I keep my house at 72*.

Latest posts

Top Bottom