Revolver or Semi Auto for non-shooters "House gun".

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone besides me think the Judge is a terrible suggestion for home defense as far as using the shotgun?

The shotgun penetration stats for this gun are terrible. Not enough barrel length to create velocity. No where close to the 12 inch min gel test requirement. Also the rifling spins the wad/shot and makes a very large ineffective pattern after a few feet. does not matter if it is buckshot or buckshot.

Look at tests at www.box-of-truth.com with both the 2.5 and 3.0 410 judge.

snake gun - at revelant distances, again, the rifling spins the wad/shot and makes a large pattern with very little shot getting into the snake pattern.

Now, the 45 long colt - granted this is a powerful round but you only got 5 (?) of them.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
your link no worky. and i dont know about your house but in mine about 12 yards is the furthest i could be shooting and still seeing the target. what I have seen a judge do will for sure still be a tight enough group with home defense ammo

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone besides me think the Judge is a terrible suggestion for home defense as far as using the shotgun?

The shotgun penetration stats for this gun are terrible. Not enough barrel length to create velocity. No where close to the 12 inch min gel test requirement. Also the rifling spins the wad/shot and makes a very large ineffective pattern after a few feet. does not matter if it is buckshot or buckshot.

Look at tests at www.box-of-truth.com with both the 2.5 and 3.0 410 judge.

snake gun - at revelant distances, again, the rifling spins the wad/shot and makes a large pattern with very little shot getting into the snake pattern.

Now, the 45 long colt - granted this is a powerful round but you only got 5 (?) of them.
did you not read the whole thread

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks, but i dont even own a judge. Just had the chance to observe them with the winchester xtp ammo. I am with you guys in being that crazy person that keeps a shotty bedside, beside the 9 and the 357

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks, but i dont even own a judge. Just had the chance to observe them with the winchester xtp ammo. I am with you guys in being that crazy person that keeps a shotty bedside, beside the 9 and the 357
Thank You ,I feel better now....mines a mp40 on the way to a 10 shot 5" 1911, right beside the shotty..loaded 00,slug,00,slug,00,00

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How's your accuracy with buckshot out of that beast beyond seven feet?

Here is 1 shot at 10 yards (30 feet).

Accuracy isn't an issue.

i29.photobucket.com_albums_c253_jasondcunningham_target.jpg

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know your friend wants a pistol as you have said, but I am a big fan of the 12ga pump. When the intruder hears the shell being racked in the 12ga pump he would have to think "this guy does not even have to be a good shot and I am still going to get hit." Just hearing it rack has a great intimidation factor. BTW I have a 4" 357 within reach. I think I need a 12ga like OKCSHOOTER though. I mean who wouldn't?