Revolver or Semi Auto for non-shooters "House gun".

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigjoe.45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I almost hate to be the one who opens this Pandora’s Box, but here goes. I was approached by a close friend that knows I am a gun enthusiast with the question of what gun to buy for a “house gun”? He has two things working in his favor. First, he actually has the cash to spend and the amount is a non issue. Secondly, he admits that he knows nothing about guns and intends to purchase this gun and a box of ammo shoot a few rounds and keep the rest for home protection. Of course I advised him that shooting only a few rounds was the first flaw in his plan and told him that there are several qualified instructors that would teach him and/or is wife to be more proficient with the gun, but that is now why I am posting here. I advised him that with the limited time he intends to spend with the gun that I would suggest a stainless, 4” revolver in .357 mag and load it with +P .38 special ammo (I first told him a .12/.20 guage shot gun but he insist it be a pistol). The story would end here if another buddy did not overhear the conversation and immediately advise him to get a high cap semi-auto. My side was that the revolver was easy to use, will not jam and will require far less maintenance if left in a bedside safe for years untouched. So I am turning to the forum for help either way, just let me know your thoughts.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Other then securing the firearm while not in use think you aproached itvery well. Might be time to take the guy to the range. If you can get him interested in shooting more an getting the instruction you recommended that wOuld be best

Souperphly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok I'll play devils advocate for ya Glock 17, will work fine if he dosen't take care of it, easy to clean if he does, 18 rounds of +p 9mm > 6 rounds of +p .38 considering he plans not to practice. But as someone already said drag him to the range, in one range trip my wife went form "I don't know if I like guns in the house" to "I don't know if I want the pink 380 or the Glock"

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Other then securing the firearm while not in use think you aproached itvery well. Might be time to take the guy to the range. If you can get him interested in shooting more an getting the instruction you recommended that wOuld be best
++1 on the take him shootin, try different guns and xplain the processes of maint ..etc...You said he was a Friend..Its now your responsibility....well kinda