revolver safety

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jphillipw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Made the switch to carry a revolver. My only concern is that something may snag the hammer and drop it on a round. Is this possible? Have I seen too many cowboy movies?

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am assuming you are using a modern double action revolver. Be sure your holster covers the trigger guard (and thence the trigger). For self defense use, you should be using the double action feature ONLY in virtually all circumstances.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i went to the 642, inside hammer.

i was told by a reliable source that a county sherrif officer's wife was carrying her revolver in her purse. She and her husband went to a movie and then went out to eat. she got into her purse for somethig and saw that the hammer was cocked. scared her.

xSMOKExLESSxCRACKx

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No. All or at least most modern DA revolvers are equipped with an internal hammer block safety.

awww.firearmsid.com_jpgs_Safeties_A_Fire4.jpg

This prevents the hammer from moving forward to strike the firing pin(Or, to touch the actual primer on those with the pin mounted on the hammer.)

It is mechanically linked to the action and should slip back into place even if the hammer is "flicked". It is only held out of the way of the hammer once the trigger is pulled.

Dbltap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, either bob it or trade for an internal hammer. Not for the fear of misfire but to keep from snagging and hindering draw. For self defense you should always carry in da mode and thus always practice in da mode so really no need for the hammer spur to be there. Mines a s&w 642 shrouded hammer and can shoot it plenty accurate da only. Not hard to get used to at all.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Now there will be folks here who will jump on this, but a good holster OWB or IWB with a thumb break with cover the hammer, and really not slow your draw. All of my revolvers use one, and with practice is just as fast as those who use open top holsters.

Latest posts

Top Bottom