Rifle n00b-lotsa questions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well...I've been a pistol guy for many years, but I think it's time to step out past 50 yards...

While I've shot .22 rifles and high end pellet guns for years, I've learned enough to know that I really don't know anything about shooting big guns, long range. I'm hoping to tap into the expertise in this forum to figure out what rifle, scope, mount combo would be best for me. (maybe even find someone willing to go to the range with me and do a little teaching?)

I've been reading up, searching the web and asking people I know for their advice...I have to say that I am completely bewildered by the number of options out there.

Here's an Idea of what I'm looking for, and any and all feedback is appreciated (I also have my flame proof underware standing by for when I ask a stupid question :chop: )

Purpose: Learning to punch holes in inanimate objects at long range...I understand it is going to take trigger time and practice, but I'd like to eventually get out past 300 yards. I'm not really a hunter, but would like to be able to use the same rifle for deer IF the opportunity to hunt presented itself.

Budget: I know this is probably my biggest limiting factor...after negotiation with the wife my "out the door" budget (rifle, scope, all accessories) has to be under $750. I'm a working class guy, and this is a pretty large purchase for me. ROI is also important for me, I don't expect to make money but If I were to hit hard times and needed cash fast I'd like a gun that will have held most of its value.

BTW-I'd like to thank President Obama for buying me my rifle...It was the 1st time home buyer tax credit bill he signed that is paying for my new gun :rubhands:

I'm thinking either .308 or .30-06 caliber...I'm open to either...not trying to start up a full on .308 vs .30-06 debate but I do have to take into consideration that I don't reload, so I'll have to be using factory ammunition. I am interested in hearing about the availability and cost of quality factory loads and whether I'd be better off in .308 or .30-06 as far as being able to find (and afford) a good quality ammo that my gun will "like"...

I'm leaning towards bolt action, but am not opposed to a semi-auto. Whatever rifle I start with, I'd like to be able to upgrade as my skills grow...so aftermarket part availability is also a consideration.

Package VS. Build:
I've only mounted and sighted a cheap tasco scope on a dovetailed pellet gun before...so I really don't know how to properly mount and zero a "real" scope. This makes a bore sighted "package" deal very appealing to me. However, I'm not against learning, and If I can build something and get better results for less $$$ I'm all for it.

New VS Used: I'm open to buying someones "last years build"...but honestly am concerned I'm going to get taken advantage of being that I don't really know what to look for and what should and shouldn't be there when buying a used rifle...New would be great, but if I can get more gun for less money by going used (and can avoid getting ripped off or sold someone else's "problem gun") I will do it.

Scope and Mounts: This is all uncharted waters for me... This is where I really start getting confused... What size, power, reticle type etc will I need for getting out to (and eventually hopefully past) 300 yards? What issues of compatibility are there between rifles, mounts and scopes? I like the idea of the Nikon BDC reticle, but have read some crappy reviews on it...Is there a better option with a similar concept...or is Mil-dot the way to go?

Ok...I've rambled on for a while, and probably asked about 10 threads worth of questions...lets see where this trainwreck goes! :nutkick::50cal:

Thanks in advance!

StammesOpfer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok 308 or 30-06 both good choices 30-06 has a bigger case so it could be driven faster but it is a long action and in theory at least it might flex more than a short action... 300yards I wouldn't worry about either. If you buy a scope at most local stores they will mount and bore sight it free.
In all honesty 300 yards your equipment shouldn't limit you as long as you don't scrape the bottom of the bin for scope and rings.

If it was me Grab a Savage or Marlin throw a Bushnell or Nikon scope on it. Get a bi-pod everyone likes Harris if that is too much the cheap winchester one will work just don't abuse it. Then buy some ammo and shoot and shoot and shoot.

Start at 50yard get zeroed left to right and then move to 100 and get your elevation in. From there you'll be able to adjust for distance with elevation by using ballistic charts for your round. It's not hard just get out there and it will come. Remember to practice shooting fundamentals so that you can take advantage of your rifle.

Just remember this isn't going to be a 1000yard setup as long as you are looking at 300 or so you should be fine.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not a long range shooter yet, but here's my thoughts anyways.

get a 308. Ammo is cheaper, and can be bought in bulk/surplus.

Since you're shooting mostly stock for now, get a Savage 10, preferably a heavy barrel.

rings and mount: put a 1 piece picatinny base. I have seen members use Farrel and EGW off the top of my head. Use either low or med height rings, lot of good options: Leupold, Burris, swfa.com has a set of pic mount rings that are supposed to be decent.

Scope: if you are hoping to be able to hunt with it also, I would look hard at something in the 3-9 or 3-10 range. my personal suggestion for a good quality budget scope would be a Bushnell Elite 3200 in either of the above flavors. They can be found for less than $200.

All told, the above should be doable under $750.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been leaning towards the Savage 10...What do you all think of the accutrigger?

Also, besides being "tacti-cool" why the 1 piece picatinny base? What is the advantage?

Also, why would I want low vs med vs high rings? Like I said, I'm completely new to scopes so I'm pretty clueless here.

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Savage and love it, I just ordered a Rem 700sps. I would consider those two. The Remington 700 has more and cheaper go fast parts but both are good starts.

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just ordered a Savage 10GXP3 in 308. It's a complete kit scope rings boresighted etc. I'll be out the door at just under $600.00. I hear that you can't go wrong with a savage, so that's what I ended up buying. My primary purpose is to go hunting, so I didn't get the heavy barrel as I don't intend to shoot hundreds or even tens of rounds in a sitting. I'm sure I'll shoot quite a few at first to get it broke in / sighted in, but after that It would probably be just a few here and there.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The Savage combo's are a good way to start and you can upgrade the scope if you think you need to later on. This way, you have a matched set that will work fine for years.

Also a Remmy 700 fan, but both rifles are good shooters, that you can get your money back on.

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you reload ?? I have a Rem. 700 in .308 its 25+ years old its a great deer rifle. I don't much like to to shoot it more than 20 times at the range. The Rem wears a 2.5 x8 or a 4.5 x 14 depending on where I'm hunting .

I bought a Savage m10 LE in .223 I shoot it out to 500m its a 1 x 9 twist barrel so it shoots the heavier bullets 50 -100 rounds at a time are no problem. Bullets are cheaper I can reload for less than .25 per round [68gr Hornady ~ .18ea]. I use a Leupold 6.5 x 20 on the Savage .The Savage isn't pretty but out of the box it just plain shoots.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How much are you going to get to spend on it to upgrade things later on down the line? If you ever plan on upgrading things a year or so later, then I would get a Remington - the upgrades for it are usually cheaper than those for the Savage (and you usually have more choices).

Out of the box, the Savages I've seen are all a step above the Remington 700s (pretty much every model of Remington save possibly the 5R Milspec).

I agree with the .308 option as far as caliber is concerned if you want to stay cheap and with plenty of options.

The problem with either rifle is that they leave you with little room for a good base/rings/scope.

Your budget doesn't leave room for much else, so I would look online as to how to make your own sand-bags and just shoot off of those.

I'd get a Warne 1-piece base at a minimum (on that budget it might be the only decent one you can afford). I'd say get a 20 MOA base, but unless you plan on going out to 700yds or so (depending on your scope), you probably won't need it (but then again, its like a $20 upgrade).

Burris XTR Rings are good for the money, but they might be too much for your budget - on $750, you need a good scope more than you need ultra-precision rings - most of your cheaper Chinese Wal-Mart Leupold rings are good enough for what you'll be doing (on a budget).

If you plan on using your scope reticle to range-find, then you need something with a mil-dot or mil-based reticle (unless you want to go the MOA route, but I don't know of many scopes that have MOA-based reticle for your budget).

I'd look at a fixed-power Bushnell Elite 3200 or a Super Sniper fixed in 10x.

If range-finding with the scope is out of the budget, then get a good Nikon or Bushnell with a plex reticle and you should be good for $150-$200.

Problem is that if you only spend $200 on a scope, you've then got to spend say, $30 on rings, and at least $80-$100 on a Warne base.

That leaves you with $400 or so to pick up a good rifle. I'd be looking for good used rifles with decent barrels on them already - and hope for something super-nice for about $400.

Its honestly really hard to imagine finding a $400 rifle that is a true sub-MOA shooter, but it happens every now and then. You might look into Howa rifles - they offer a lot for the price and are probably more accurate than most of your off-the-shelf modern-day Remington 700s.

Try some of that Prvi Match ammo and see if it likes whatever rifle you've got (cause that stuff is less than $1 per round - its basically the cheapest off-the-shelf option you've got).

Latest posts

Top Bottom