Rifle n00b-lotsa questions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you all for the help so far...This is the kind of info I've been needing...

Leadlobber said:
Do you reload ??
Nope...I lack both the equipment, as well as knowledge...

ez bake: Thank you for all the info...you have answered a lot of my scope/mounting questions...and given me some good stuff to "google"...

You guys (and gals?) have given me a pretty good idea of what I need to look for and once my tax refund gets here, I feel much more comfortable going "cash in hand" and talking to some of the local gun stores and seeing how close they can get to what I want for the price I'm looking for...I am also not opposed to PM's from sellers here who might happen to have what I'm looking for.

In the mean time, I've dropped a few hints to the wife that a range membership or gift certificate to USSA (or even just renewing my old TF membership) would make a GREAT Valentines day gift :heart:

...My Father has also offered to let me take out the Family .303 Enfield and M1 carbine to let me get a better feel for shooting larger rifles so as soon as I figure out where to go shoot I plan on having some fun with the old WWII guns:soldiers:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok 308 or 30-06 both good choices 30-06 has a bigger case so it could be driven faster but it is a long action and in theory at least it might flex more than a short action
Just remember this isn't going to be a 1000yard setup as long as you are looking at 300 or so you should be fine.

The 30-06 has won more 1K yard matches than any other round at Camp Perry national matches with open sights.
Since its a .30 cal, short or long action, there are options from 110 grain varmint to 220 grain match ammo. Both .308 and the 30-06 use the same bullets, but the 30-06 does have the velocity advantage buy a couple hundred FPS due to case volume.

bink98xcab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i dont have much experience with either 308 0r 30-06 but i do have a 10fp 308 and a rem700 30-06. i think either would be a great start like they have said. i really like the 308 as a primary for one its a great round and the ammo is always cheaper than most. so if you could find a good deal on each of the suggestions , you could very well build a nice setup for the $750 but your gonna have to be on your toes.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You asked why low mounts are desirable. The closer to the bore your scope is, the less you have to raise up to see through the scope. Keeps your cheek planted against the comb better. Helps steady the hold and really cuts down on felt recoil.

Also, at close ranges, parallax is less (Looking at scope axis vs actual bullet path. Higher scope increases the difference, makes most difference up close.

I would suggest the .308. Plenty of factory options. Don't get too excited about surplus ammo, because recently it has become a little scarce and a lot more expensive. If you get into shooting a lot, an inexpensive turret reloader is the way to go.

For resale, Remington, but I'd go with the Savage. Another advantage is that with a Savage you can easily change barrels if you decide to do something else. The .308 is a short action, and you would not be able to go to 30-06 or similar length. If you got a long action, you could probably use about any caliber barrel on it except for very short cartridges.

I have a Savage 110 converted to .338-06. Shoots 225 grain bullets exactly like a 30-06 shoots 180s. Fun. (It's commercially available ammo (Weatherby built one), but bring money. I load all my own.) CB

acpjosh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will say Savage also, lots of room for wupgrades. Howa makes a good rifle as well and will accept most rem 700 goodies. If you go with a Howa w/ a wood stock, do not remove action from stock after you sight it in (ask me how I know) your zero will be messed up. Back to Savage, they ha e introduced the aluminum pillard, bedded accu stock, accu trigger, and I beliewve accu bolt, all on a factory gun. Those three things are an extra cost on some other guns. Of course that set up is just a bit higher than your price range, but would be worth it and probably hold value a lot better. I dont think the Savage accu package has hit the market yet ( i was told may). There are a great deal of options, do your research, research some more and dont always buy what a sales person is telling you. If you would like, you could come out to the range and check out a few rifles.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
criticalbass-Thank you for the explanation of the mounting height issue. I'm guessing that exactly how "tall" the rings need to be is going to based off of the dimensions of the particular scope being mounted...yes?

You also brought up another point I hadn't thought of with the action length as well...

acpjosh-I'll look into the Howa rifles, that is a manufacturer I hadn't looked into...

I really like what I've read so far about the "Accutrigger"...It sounds like you get the same effect as a really expensive "trigger job" with the ability for your average person to easily be able to adjust the pull.

I would love to come out to USSA and check out a few rifle. I work "next door" and could easily swing by at lunch or before work. I have to admit I've been wanting to come by and check out the range, but have been intimidated by the cost (and to some extent by not wanting to look like a dork asking stupid questions!)

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
About stupid questions, most gun people are very forgiving of stupid questions. Personally, I'd rather someone ask me a "stupid" question and do the right thing, than not and actually do something stupid.

Latest posts

Top Bottom