Rifle sight in questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROON

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok guys I was not sure if I should put this in the rifle section or range section but thought it was best in here if not please move it.

First question is I have a 243 rifle that I sighted in at 30 yards at H&H. Right now it is at zero for 30yd I would like to have it set at zero for 100 yards. I was wondering if there was a ballistics chart that could get me close to zero at 100.

Second question is I have busnell banner 6x18 50mm scope on my 243. I was wondering how accurate a multi power scope is at long ranges when you "zoom" in on a longe range shot.

Thanks guys

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First off for the ballistics of a 234 it would be a waste to have a 100 yard zero. Take this for what it is worth, but I would sight in for about 1 1/2" high at 100 and then you would be dead on at 200yds and only 6-8" low at 300yds. The 243 is a pretty hot little cartridge, and you don't loose anything with this type of zero.

Most variable scopes these days are pretty good about maintaining impact point at any power setting, so I would say you would be fine when zoomed in or not...at most you would be 1/2" off your orriginal zero so I wouldn't worry too much. as for a quick check 30yds is OK......BUT NOTHING replaces zeroing at the yardage you intend to shoot, so I would find someone who can take you to a real 100 or 200 yard range. Sight in with what ever ammo you like, then get a bunch of it all the same, as different ammo and different bullet weights will hit different than what you zero it with. Kurt Miller

ROON

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Ive got a guy that will let me shoot at his place and I can shoot up to 400yd at his place. I was going to go today but had to much to do around the ranch.