Rookie question here......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm no noob when it comes to firearms.....but I am a noob when it comes to SBR's and tax stamps. So here's my question......If you get a tax stamp for a SBR, do you have to have a lower designated to that upper, or can you switch the lower between two? Reason I ask is I have a Colt SP 6920 and would like to get a SBR. I was wandering if I can use the Colt lower with both the Colt upper and the SBR or do I have to buy another lower altogether? Thanks for your help

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You can switch back and forth but the lower will be a "designated" sbr lower and will always be one.If you sell it, no matter what configuration it is, it will need a form 4 before transfer.My advice is don't sacrifice the expensive 6920. Buy, or build, another lower for your sbr.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought if you returned it to a legal 16"+ configuration, then it could be sold without paperwork(other than a removal notification to the ATF)?

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought if you returned it to a legal 16"+ configuration, then it could be sold without paperwork(other than a removal notification to the ATF)?

From the ATF SBR/SBS FAQ website: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html

Q: Does the installation of a barrel over 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA? If so, is this considered a permanent change?Installation of a barrel greater than 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) will remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA provided the registrant does not maintain control over the parts necessary to reconfigure the firearm as a SBR or SBS.

Q: Is it necessary to send notification to ATF and receive acknowledgement that the SBR or SBS has been removed from the purview of the NFA before it may be sold as a GCA firearm?There is no requirement for the possessor of a registered NFA firearm to notify ATF that the firearm has been removed from the purview of the NFA. However, ATF recommends the possessor notify the NFA Branch of such changes in writing so that the possessor is not mistakenly identified as the owner if the firearm is later used in a crime. If, at the time of transfer, the firearm does not meet the definition of a SBR, it should be transferred without filing the NFA transfer application and without payment of the transfer tax.

Latest posts

Top Bottom