Ruger 10/22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau B

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve built 3 10/22s and a charger and not a single Ruger factory part in any of them short of the magazines. I got a little weird with them for a while. I think Kidd parts have been my favorite but I really like tacsol and Volquartsen as well.
If you wanted to start reasonably I’d say get a stock 10/22 and add a Magpul stock and a trigger pack..an extended mag release is nice too.
Hornet triggers are an awesome and reasonably priced upgrade that will dramatically improve how much fun you can have with the gun. Kidd triggers are amazing but you can spend as much on one of those as the whole factory Ruger. TacSol barrels are great..I did one with a KSA bull barrel off eBay that was priced really well and was an excellent barrel but super heavy.
It’s easy enough to spend 1K on one of these if you go completely aftermarket. I’ll admit that’s ridiculous and I will never see my money back on them but they are a lot of fun.
A parts list for a cool “budget” build could be:
KSA Bull barrel
Brownells rcvr
Hornet trigger pack
Ruger bolt assembly (or JWH custom if you want to spend a little more)
Magpul stock

I just looked and the KSA barrel is considerably pricier than it was when I bought it..still cheaper than a TacSol, Kidd, Volquartsen etc.

Edit to add that the Primary Arms ACSS 22 scope is so much fun on one of these and around $100.

JMD

I came, I saw, I made it awkward
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, the going rate for a basic 10/22 seems to be $350-ish,,,
By the time a person gets through accessorizing,,,
How much in total will you shell out?

One range acquaintance of mine is very fond of bragging about his tricked out 10/22,,,
Honestly I thing the basic frame is the only original part on his rifle,,,
He once told me he had over $900 invested in the rifle.

Is this the norm for you 10/22 lovers?

Honestly, I'm not ragging on you,,,
I'm just curious as to the motivation behind it.

So on average, how much do you fanatics spend after the original rifle purchase?

Aarond

Im a 10/22 lover for sure. I have two right now, one is pretty tricked out mostly with Vol parts and a leopold FX scope. I get people asking about it from time to time at the range because it's unusual looking but I don't think I brag on it. Its tons of fun smacking things at 100 yards out without it costing 1 to 3 dollars a shot. I don't know exactly how much everyting cost, I guess with the original cost of the rifle its probably over 1k. I think alot of things folks spend their gun budget on isn't necessary but just adds to the enjoyment of the hobby/lifestyle.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My old one is a champ in stock config. I ran multiple bricks and bulk boxes through it. It will stay in stock form as it has sentimental value.

I wanted one with a threaded barrel so I bought a new 10/22. It seems to have to much play with magazine inserted and has misfeeds frequently.

I would be tempted to put money in upgrades if I knew it would resolve the issue.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think a lot of things folks spend their gun budget on isn't necessary but just adds to the enjoyment of the hobby/lifestyle.

And this my friends is the "Essence of Accessorizing".

It's like me and holsters for the range,,,
An Uncle Mikes holster will do the job just fine,,,
But there's just something about sporting a fine custom holster.

Aarond

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Show Off Your 10/22 Custom Build

Here's mine, first one in the thread. Built mine and one for my grandson at the same time. His had the red/black stock. Like has been said, couldn't get our money back out of them, but the time with the grandson putting the parts together and shooting them was what it was all about.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IIRC, @SoonerP226 has an extremely tricked out, modified 10-22 and much knowledge on parts, compatibility, cost, worth.

Maybe he will chime in.
Must be someone else. The only Rugers I’ve ever owned were .22 pistols (one semi, one .22LR/WMR SA wheegun), but that was so long so that I don’t even recall which models they were.

Beau B

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old one is a champ in stock config. I ran multiple bricks and bulk boxes through it. It will stay in stock form as it has sentimental value.

I wanted one with a threaded barrel so I bought a new 10/22. It seems to have to much play with magazine inserted and has misfeeds frequently.

I would be tempted to put money in upgrades if I knew it would resolve the issue.
This could be a cheap fix for you..I had one with some play and feeding problems, added this (with the high tension spring) and problem solved.
I ended up buying and installing a couple more.
https://www.kiddinnovativedesign.com/KIDD-Magazine-Latch-Plunger-Stainless-Steel_p_136.html

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This could be a cheap fix for you..I had one with some play and feeding problems, added this (with the high tension spring) and problem solved.
I ended up buying and installing a couple more.
https://www.kiddinnovativedesign.com/KIDD-Magazine-Latch-Plunger-Stainless-Steel_p_136.html
Thank you! I appreciate the info.
I primarily use .22 when killing pigs in traps. I tossed this 10/22 in the corner and bought a S&W 15-22 and use it. However, I have several 10/22 mags and like the 10/22 design better.

I may have to start a little upgrade project on it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom