Ruger discontinuing the Mini 14 ????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have owned a mini for 15 years that has never jammed so i wouldnt call it a POS I wouldnt put a scope on it either. you are limited on bullet weights and that thin barrel can get a little hot.that being said I really prefer ARs but the mini will take the abuse and neglect better

Republicanhack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i havent shot my mini yet but my dad had one years ago and it was a good gun i doubt mine will be any different. my ARs on the otherhand werent all that great. i thought i just had to have 3 of them and after one range session i sold them all. i guess its kinda like an AK i would rather have an SKS. granted they arent as mean looking and i dont look like a member of the swat team when i go to the range but oh well. if i want accuracy ill stick with the savage 110

Signut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It usually comes from people who've had no experience from owning one. My AR jams up on me all the dang time. My mini always goes bang. So, my AR is a POS to me. I trust my Mini over my AR. And it only cost me half the price of the base model AR. Now after all the "performance enhancing options" of my AR, it cost me around $1600 whereas my Mini I've only got about $450 into.

I invite anybody out to shoot my Mini if they think its a piece of crap. I'll prove them wrong. All they gotta do is bring some ammo. And by they way, the Mini will shoot whatever ammo you stick in it unlike the spoiled little rich b***h my AR is. Stupid AR only shoots magic fairy dust bullets.

The Mini doesn't care if its dirty, clean, dry, wet, hot, cold or whatever it just shoots. My AR has got to be cleaned every hundred rounds or so, god forbid if you run it too dry or too wet. And don't expect the bloody thing to shoot more than 3 or 4 rounds before jamming due to the temp being below 75 or above 76 or the humidity is anything other than 42.38% and barometric pressure is above 29.92 in/Hg.

Granted my Mini keeps about a 2" shot group at 100yards where as my AR can do 1" groups. But the difference is my Mini will do those same groups no matter the weather or conditions (see Paragraph above). The AR will shoot 1" groups if you can get it to run more than 3 round groups and depending on the conditions (once again refer to paragraph above). Either way, the Mini will still kill the evil target for all 30 rounds consecutively. AR... not so much. At the range my Mini = sanity, my AR = pissed off, wondering why I spent $1600 on a gun that I gotta constantly baby sit.

So, in summary, I will get flamed for this post because "Oh my God! He said the Awesome Omnipotent Perfection of weaponry that is the AR is a POS! He must be stopped at all cost!" Bring it on hippies! :lmfao:

I have had the same experience. I have owned 3 Colt AR15 rifles. They were all like that. One of the rifles was an HBAR long barrel. That thing could shoot accurate like you would not believe. The very first time i shot it i put 5 shots thru the same hole. My target was one of those thick tubes that stretch wrap comes on. One raged hole in front and 5 exit holes on the backside. I was impressed... But like in the post above... 50 to 75 rounds and it had to be cleaned. I finally got it figured out that all i had to do was pull the bolt carrier and wipe off the outside of the bolt carrier and it was good for another 50 to 75 rounds. I suspect that having a stainless bolt carrier AND having the rifle converted to a gas piston operated would solve that problem? Maybe yes...maybe no. Worth a try though.

I don't think Rugers new AR rifle will be a failure. I suspect it will cycle rounds really well....but i doubt it will be accurate at long range. I've had Rugers and many of my friends have had Ruger Rifles. None of us could get very good accuracy out of them....

mike
sn

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suspect that having a stainless bolt carrier AND having the rifle converted to a gas piston operated would solve that problem? Maybe yes...maybe no. Worth a try though.

mike
sn

There again, I've gotta spend another $550 on the AR which brings the total up too $2150. Thats 1 mini 14, 1 remington 700 in .308, and scopes for both. If I want accuracy that can shoot the balls off a fly and 1000 yards, I'll stick with my bolt gun. If I want reliability and dependability I'll take my Mini.

Signut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There again, I've gotta spend another $550 on the AR which brings the total up too $2150. Thats 1 mini 14, 1 remington 700 in .308, and scopes for both. If I want accuracy that can shoot the balls off a fly and 1000 yards, I'll stick with my bolt gun. If I want reliability and dependability I'll take my Mini.

I'm not knocking the Mini 14. But there are other things that might be cheaper like the Kel Tek. Or if you like the Mini 14 design go with an M14.

I like the accuracy of the AR15 rifle. I like the looks of the rifle as well.

mike
sn

Latest posts

Top Bottom