Is the Ruger Mini-14 Obsolete?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Life must be a b*tch for ya, all these people not behaving right. There is that ignore button, or is it the complaining and drama you like? I wonder who Ken is, but hell if I'm going to ask.

Perfect example that illustrates my point. Because you disagree and can't make a reasoned argument to what I said, my life must suck. Projection is a thing...

And if you'd been paying even the slightest bit of attention you'd know who Ken is. Or was...

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This thread and the many (Mini?) others just like it has motivated me to take the newer Mini-14 out and compare it with an AR. It'll be a PSA lower with a Colt 6920 upper.

From the way some people talk about the Mini I'll be surprised if it'll hit Oklahoma...much less a regular target...and the AR should "jam" (I thought that term was, like the Mini-14, obsolete) on the first shot and be nothing but a hunk of plastic trash to pollute a landfill somewhere.

Mon or Tues, maybe. The weather looks good and the mud should be somewhat dried on the range by then. Besides...it'll take me that long to stop freaking out, get my panties untwisted, calm down from being so angry, contemplate why my life sucks/is a b***h and why I like drama/complaining so much. I'm sure I forgot something but I have a few days to remember what it was.

Last edited:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This thread and the many (Mini?) others just like it has motivated me to take the newer Mini-14 out and compare it with an AR. It'll be a PSA lower with a Colt 6920 upper.

From the way some people talk about the Mini I'll be surprised if it'll hit Oklahoma...much less a regular target...and the AR should "jam" (I thought that term was, like the Mini-14, obsolete) on the first shot and be nothing but a hunk of plastic trash to pollute a landfill somewhere.

Mon or Tues, maybe. The weather looks good and the mud should be somewhat dried on the range by then. Besides...it'll take me that long to stop freaking out, get my panties untwisted, calm down from being so angry, contemplate why my life sucks/is a b***h and why I like drama/complaining so much. I'm sure I forgot something but I have a few days to remember what it was.
Where you shooting at? I have a Ruger Mini with a Leupold on it you're welcome to throw in the mix, and a Poverty Pony AR with a BCM upper and an ACOG you are welcome to test. PM me if you want to take them along.

*Spoiler*** they both shoot great, but the AR will be 25% more accurate. The Ruger will make you look less like a latte-sipping SJW.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where you shooting at? I have a Ruger Mini with a Leupold on it you're welcome to throw in the mix, and a Poverty Pony AR with a BCM upper and an ACOG you are welcome to test. PM me if you want to take them along.

*Spoiler*** they both shoot great, but the AR will be 25% more accurate. The Ruger will make you look less like a latte-sipping SJW.

Did it ever occur to you I might enjoy looking like a latte-sipping SJW?
ROFL.gif

I'll shoot you a PM. But not with an AR...it'll prolly jam...

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I didn’t read all 14 pages and likely won’t.

First, be nice. They’re guns, not wives or kids. If someone doesn’t like your choice grow up and choose not to take it personally.

Second. Both would happily live in a safe together. If you like both, buy both.

Third. If you have to pick one, pick the one that best fits your purpose and are most likely to practice and be proficient with.

Finally. If you are looking for the more up to date fighting weapon between the two, the AR pattern is it.

Also, this question has changed a lot in the last 15 years. Then the Mini14 was cheaper and readily available. It made it possible to weigh the lack in modularity and performance of the Mini vs the added cost of the AR. Now however the AR can be had more easily and cheaper than the Mini.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was not just the ammo. The gun was a POS up until the A2 model. Even them lots of guys would have rather carried anything but the M-16. AKs, shotguns, M-14, they were all preferred over the M-16 in Vietnam and for years after. They had to chrome line the barrel and then change the twist among other things.
Just stop. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.