Ruger LCP 380 vs. S&W BODYGUARD 380

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john.b0y

New to the site!
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a smaller gun to conceal. I like these the best. This will be my primary weapon for defense, not a secondary. Please share your thoughts for pros and cons. Thanks.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the Ruger and its my go to gun. Pocket holster and its good to go. Whether I'm in slacks, shorts or jeans (back pocket) I almost always have it on me. Using with another gun unless shorts.

I have heard good things about the Smith but have never tried it.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If this is your only CCW for defense I highly recommend putting at least 500rds through the gun whichever you get. Especially considering the LCPs have been hit or miss and the S&W is a brand new platform.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Problem with the LCP is that the sights are barely usable. It's almost impossible to pick up the front sight with any speed. If you figure the cost of a laser, it's the same price as the Smith. The switch on the Smith's laser (as noted above) isn't very well thought out, IMHO. Once you get into that price range, I think the Kahr P380 is a viable choice.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's my thought on them. They are all point and shoot. Not for target practice.
If I can hit center mass at anything under 25 feet I'm good to go.
I can do this with just about any of them, so the discussion moves on to quality and price.

I carry a LCP most of the time, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
If I had the smith I'd carry it.

If I feel like I need something better or bigger it still comes with me as a BUG and I pack my little 45 auto.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are all point and shoot. Not for target practice.
If I can hit center mass at anything under 25 feet I'm good to go.
I can do this with just about any of them, so the discussion moves on to quality and price.

The LCP I had wasn't fun to shoot (pinched the hell out of my trigger finger), but I actually enjoy shooting my P380. It always goes to the range with me, and it's accurate out to 25 yards (I can hit clays at that distance with reasonable consistency).

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree G O about the sights.
Haven't had a problem with the trigger pinch mysel but can see your point.
I was just saying a 380 for me and most people is a SD gun.
Some of the 380's are quite accurate as you said.
But I think most people carry them for something other than target practice.
But once again you need to practive with them also.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the looks of the new S&W better than the Ruger.
I like the lighter weight of the Ruger and the option to save money and not purchase a laser.
I like that the S&W actually has sights.
I like that the S&W's slide locks back after the last round. The Ruger does not.
I like the external safety on the S&W.
I don't like the on/off switch for the laser on the S&W. The optional CT laser grip on the Ruger is superior. And, if the laser goes out on the Ruger, you just send the laser back, not the entire gun like you would have to with the S&W.
You really can't go wrong with either gun, IMHO, but I favor the S&W.

Latest posts

Top Bottom