Ruger SP101

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the SP101 has an internal lock? I cannot stand the internal locks that Smith & Wesson insists on putting on their guns, and I was hoping that this little revolver was not victim to political pressure like the S&W models.

Thanks in advance,
JTA

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the SP101 has an internal lock? I cannot stand the internal locks that Smith & Wesson insists on putting on their guns, and I was hoping that this little revolver was not victim to political pressure like the S&W models.

Thanks in advance,
JTA

No lock on the SP101. That newer plastic Ruger revolver [is it the LCR?] does have a lock, hidden under a grip panel.

I have both an SP101 and a steel Smith J frame. I think the SP101 is a superior product. Trigger not as smooth, better design and fit and finish in my book. The Ruger is a bit heavier. Good for magnum ammo, bad for pocket carry. If you belt carry its fine.

You can get a few new S&W J frames with no lock, if you can find one in the store. Its the 442 or 642 "classic." Not sure if they are still in production, but they are around.

jej

JTA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No lock on the SP101. That newer plastic Ruger revolver [is it the LCR?] does have a lock, hidden under a grip panel.

I have both an SP101 and a steel Smith J frame. I think the SP101 is a superior product. Trigger not as smooth, better design and fit and finish in my book. The Ruger is a bit heavier. Good for magnum ammo, bad for pocket carry. If you belt carry its fine.

You can get a few new S&W J frames with no lock, if you can find one in the store. Its the 442 or 642 "classic." Not sure if they are still in production, but they are around.

jej

Thanks for the feed back, and brief review. I know you can get the S&W 442 and 642 without locks, but I was sort of warming up to the idea of a slightly heavier revolver to help make shooting more enjoyable. Airweight J frame revolvers are a pain (literally) for extended periods of shooting. The SP101 seems like one of the few small revolvers truly capable of managing .357 loads.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back, and brief review. I know you can get the S&W 442 and 642 without locks, but I was sort of warming up to the idea of a slightly heavier revolver to help make shooting more enjoyable. Airweight J frame revolvers are a pain (literally) for extended periods of shooting. The SP101 seems like one of the few small revolvers truly capable of managing .357 loads.

It is. Mine is a 2.25"bbl with exposed hammer. It is tolerable with .357 loads. It is downright easy with .38 special non+P target loads. I hear that the same gun with a 3" bbl is even better with the heavy duty rounds.

That said, modern .38 +p are a handful and are good enough for SD work IMO. I like the .357 snubby so I can carry a full size 6 shot .357 and the snubby for backup with a common caliber.

I am with you on the airweights. Good to carry a lot and shoot a little. Good for pocket carry. The one that is for sale here would be a good one to get if you were in the market. Its new [near new? I don't know] and they are not easy to find new. I don't know either way about prices.

jej

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have personally never understood the SP101. You can go smaller, carry the same amount and caliber of ammo, or just a hair bigger, and carry more. They seem completely pointless to me. Too heavy and bulky for a backup, to small for a primary.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have personally never understood the SP101. You can go smaller, carry the same amount and caliber of ammo, or just a hair bigger, and carry more. They seem completely pointless to me. Too heavy and bulky for a backup, to small for a primary.

I carry a snubby like an SP101 as primary often. I carry two when conditions allow. I never feel under-gunned.

jej

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again, I dont understand. A K-frame snub is barely bigger, and you get six round in a true full size gun, or you can carry a J-frame, with the same ammo, in a much smaller package.

I carry a J-frame when I run to the store, or am mowing, never into any sort of real society. A gun is for fighting, not to make you feel better.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm with liliysdad on this one. I had an SP101, but found I had no purposeful use for it. It weighs more than my Sig P228 unloaded, and only held a third of the rounds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom